How to set a pre-focus? (for self-portrait)

YoungRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

This might be a totally stupid question but for some reason my self-portraits turn out soft or out of focus almost every time....

The reason is clear:
I try to maunally pre-set the focus to a distance where I will try to in the shot...
It's easier when smaller aperture, but sometimes I'd like to play around with f2.8 or so in a self-portrait and it just won't get the focus right...

Is there an easy way to setup the camera, that it will refocus right before the shot is fired?

Thanks for your help!
Pat

I've never tried but I seen some people say to use large stuffed animals/teddy bears...

I guess you finely focus on the fibre's and then boot them out the way...

ps - since there are no fine fibre's on a blow up doll you should not use that...

You can probably get a remote to focus and fire the camera while you stand in front of it.

Like Stillsky said, the best way would be to get a remote for this. You'll actually find a ton of other uses for the remote as well, it's a great investment!

Thanks guys!

Similar to the Stuffed Teddy was my technique in the past, but it's quite difficult to hit a cool shot that way...

The remote is a goood idea...but I heard that most of them have poor build-quality.
The wired ones often have too short cables and the wireless don't always work...

Any suggestion which remote is worth buying it? ;)

Focus the lens, then turn off AF. The lens will stay focused.

I possted a thread like this the other day, let me find it

*looks at old threads*

Here

I do think I am going to invest in a remote that allows me to focus then shoot though... useful for self portraits and night shooting/slow shutter :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back