How to stop lens flare during long exposures

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was testing out shooting cars at night with long exposure, and it was succesful if not for the lens flare. I know the lights are going to become stars, but I'm also getting genuine lens flare. I tried with a lens hood, and it did nothing. Could it be from the UV filter I have on? Or do I need a filter specifically for this? Here is a picture I took where the lens flare is pretty obvious:

(Note: I know I missed the focus of pretty much anything, I was just trying out the effect)

3015177142_19702a456d_b.jpg

Your only hope is to find a spot with out that light or get under it. As it is it is too far away for a hood to have any effect. Get it out of the frame completely.

I actually spoke to one of my professors about this one time. His advise was odd. He told me to go and buy a cheap pare of black pantyhose from a store and stretch it tight across my lens... he said it would abosrb the reflect light from the lense...... I don't really understand this theory but he said it works great.... again this makes NO sense to me but it may be wirth a shot.

Yeah, it supposedly has the same effect as a polarizer, which "straightens" out the light. Unpolarized light goes every which way and you get bad reflections and lens flares and stuff. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But the pantyhose things doesn't sound way off. I haven't tried it personally, only read up on it.

in theroy it may work, but given the construction of the pantyhose I could also see them behaving like a star (crossthach) filter. That would have very devistating results on a heavy light trail shot if I am correct. Now I don't wear panythose so I might be wrong on the material construction and possible results but.....

I might consider it over a polerizer as it is not another peice of glass to reflect but, I don't think I would have my expectations too high.

Ahhh huge edit guys. Sorry. I was thinking of the pantyhose over the lens in place of a soft focus filter, not a polarizer. Not sure what that's gonna do for you hah.

I can't see the picture, but this is almost certainly caused by the UV filter. Take it off for night shots! I'm always forgetting this and wasting time filling my frames with light spots.

Most reactions

Back