How to take baby pictures

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, Im at best an informed/journeyman amateur photographer.

I would like some advice on taking baby photos, for no other reason then the child is my nephew. Some ideas have been put forward and I'd like advice on getting the best images I can

I could get hold of lights from my club but in all honesty I have no real knowledge or till now much interest in them.

Images like the one posted in the link below or in general google baby images with plane background.

Raising a Baby With the Blood Type Diet - D'Adamo Personalized Living

Think "large" light source be it a large soft box or reflector the idea being to bring soft light on the child, without being in their face.

Young children all have an "ideal" time if day (early morning, after a nap, after they eaten, etc). The closer you are to that "ideal" time the better your chances.

one does not simply take baby pictures.

Depends on your nephew's age.

The type work I've done has been in Early Intervention and I would suggest ignoring most of the baby photography videos etc. if he's a newborn. Please use poses for photos that are the ways a newborn would be positioned in real life. Such as - head supported, and wrapped loosely to allow for movement; NOT propped up on elbows til older, NOT placed down in a bucket etc. til old enough to bear weight. Maybe let the parents do the positioning although if this is your nephew you might be fine doing that yourself.

The photo on the link posted looks fine because that baby seems to be able to support her/himself on hands/elbows on the tummy, and hold the head up and laugh at a soft blanket over the top of the head. If your nephew is at that age and stage that should be fun.

I would get the equipment set up and ready and figure out some vantage points ahead of time (use a stand-in teddy bear or something!). If you borrow equipment try it out and practice enough to be able to do this. Then as already mentioned, figure out a good time of day and some shots you want to get and work efficiently. With babies, we're on their schedule, they're not on ours, so plan to get in and get done! don't expect the baby can wait around for you to mess with equipment. When I did assessments I had to have everything ready, make a one or two word note then write more lengthy notes when the baby was done (ready for diaper change, bottle, or nap!).

The sample photo looks like it may have been done professionally in a studio so I wouldn't necessarily expect to get results like that in the home. I'd think about where to set up and what background you'll have to figure out a good vantage point.

NOT placed down in a bucket etc.

That depends, if they're mobile filling the bucket with sand holds them in place. For the really mobile ones you might substitute cement. :bouncingsmileys:
>
>
>
>
Standard legal disclaimer - Do not try in real life.

Well yeah, if they're mobile they aren't that young, so they're able to be in some thing or other, a swing, wagon, etc. or something that won't tip. Depends on the age and what the baby can do, but if the child is a newborn and not yet holding up the head, it's inappropriate to stick a baby down in something and have the head flopping over or adults using fingers to try to hold up the head. A concern is proper breathing and not constricting that tiny airway. There's a reason we learn to support a newborn baby's head, and I think it's best to follow guidelines that would be consistent with what's told to first time parents.

You'll get nice head shots of you lie a baby on a bed with a big window nearby. Obviously the window is not facing into the sun but with nice light coming through off angle. If there's a light net type white curtain it helps. You just need to figure how to stand between baby and window and get them to look at you

Have seen a few clips now, the child is six months old but he still cant really prop himself up yet. I kind of know now I'd expect to achieve so those photos from google are only something to aim for more than anything.

Have seen a few clips now, the child is six months old but he still cant really prop himself up yet. I kind of know now I'd expect to achieve so those photos from google are only something to aim for more than anything.

Lots and lots and lots of them are also heavily photoshopped.

You don't need to watch the whole thing...just look at the photo she started with.

Have to say I cannot stand the baby with the head propped up by it's own hands pose! (No matter how it is achieved) It looks completely unnatural and uncomfortable.

That's because, you're a mom and you know looking at it that it's something you'd never do with a newborn baby. And anyone like me, therapists etc. who have worked with babies would never, ever, NEVER put a newborn on their tummy with the chin in the hands up on elbows.

I didn't watch the video beyond the beginning because I've seen enough of those, and the original photo is the problem. You don't put a newborn in that position and hold the head like that - not til a baby can hold up his/her head - you support a baby's head.

To me it borders on abuse/neglect and the reason I say that is because if I'd ever have walked into a home visit and a baby was positioned like that, I would have had to do something about it. Most likely showing the family better ways to position the baby, talk to them about it, etc., and document in my notes (since you never know where things may go and if anything continued that seemed unsafe it could get to the point of being reportable).

Anyway, since the nephew in this case is 6 months old then you can probably go by what the parents say he's able to do to figure out what poses are do-able and maybe let them position him. Do what they're comfortable with. I'm afraid to think what might be out there on google...

And if you put a baby up on a bed, couch etc. make sure another adult is there to be on the other side (if the photographer is on one side) to watch the baby in case he/she starts to roll.

most baby shots I see is all about clean backgrounds, shallow dof, and very good soft lighting from a LARGE source (either a window or softbox)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back