How to take photos like this?

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Stitching for the first.

Not sure about the second one.

the metadata says 9.9 secs. for the night shot. Reflection like this are very common.

the first is a panorama shot hard to say how many exposures.

these aren't difficult to do,knowing and understanding your camera is basically all there is, as well as "seeing" something that fits this type of work

The first image could easily be one shot taken with a wide-angle lens (maybe even a fish-eye), then simply cropped down to look like a pano.

The second could well be a SOOC shot. Sailors call it a dead calm. Classic example of 'being there'.

1-rooftop camera placement
2-tripod and water and a windless night

Relatively straightforward stuff. Give it a try! This is kind of like "f/8 and be there", meaning, you gotta BE THERE, where those types of scenes actually exist, and set the lens to f/8, and SHOOT! You could do these shots!!!!

The first is a stitched panoramic. It's multiple shots blended together in an editing program.
The second looks like a standard wide angle lens. The reflection is not photoshopped. It's natural. Learn to use your camera and you too can make it happen!

Number one is a panorama. In my opinion, the second looks like all is reflected in photoshopped. I use reflection some times, and the bottom the photo looks like the top of the photo. Also, unless that water is prefectly still, the real reflection lines would show movement in the water not be completely straight. The person may have an extremely fast lens. Just going by the knowledge I have.

Inside a marina, calm night with no wind...second shot definitely possible without photoshop trickery. If anything, easier in real life then in photoshop.

Number one is a panorama.
Obviously. The question is "lens": Single shot that's cropped, or multiple shots stitched?

In my opinion, the second looks like all is reflected in photoshopped. I use reflection some times, and the bottom the photo looks like the top of the photo. Also, unless that water is prefectly still, the real reflection lines would show movement in the water not be completely straight. The person may have an extremely fast lens. Just going by the knowledge I have.
The shot itself and the EXIF provided by it show that everything about this answer is incorrect. Look close to see the evidence that the reflection isn't Photoshopped.

Clues:
1. The pier posts' reflections, closer to the viewer and the water, overlap up onto the reflections of the roofs and other high structures, wherein they do not in the upper part of the image that isn't reflected, this is due to the low angle of the scene as viewed in the reflection.

2. The lit dome in the far background doesn't show as much in the reflection because the lower angle of the reflection causes the building roof in front of it to block more of it than we can see in the upper part of the image, for the same low angle reason as in note 1, above.

3. The verticals are dead-on vertical, yet the horizontal line of reflection is angled with the slight perspective of the shoreline. That's a more involved trick not usually tried when faking a reflection, because it's much harder to pull off with the degree of realism required to keep it from looking fake.

4. EXIF shows the shot at f/2.8 and a shutter of 10 seconds on a Canon PowerShot S40, which is not "extremely fast". That noted, and even setting aside the low angle and perspective elements mentioned above, the reflections themselves aren't perfectly mirrored like a true mirror or trickery, but are slightly blurred as a mostly, but not perfectly, calm water surface shot at 10 seconds would be expected to yield. While this can of course be done in Photoshop, combined with the other clues noted above, it certainly adds to the idea that this isn't at all an edited post-effect conjured up by software, even with a talented PS artist at the helm, but is indeed a true reflection.

Most reactions

Back