How to take these photos?

The settings used to create this type of shot on a digital SLR will be the same as on a film SLR. Get a tripod and a nice long shutter speed (I like to ballpark how long it takes a car to move through my entire frame and set it to a little longer than that with an aperture that will ensure that the surrounding scene is properly exposed) and see what you come up with. A lot of this type of photography is trial and error, experimentation, and luck.

P.S. If you really want to have some fun, try moving the camera too.

The settings used to create this type of shot on a digital SLR will be the same as on a film SLR. Get a tripod and a nice long shutter speed (I like to ballpark how long it takes a car to move through my entire frame and set it to a little longer than that with an aperture that will ensure that the surrounding scene is properly exposed) and see what you come up with. A lot of this type of photography is trial and error, experimentation, and luck.

P.S. If you really want to have some fun, try moving the camera too.

And what are those settings? I always did it the old fashoined way and simply manually stuck the shutter open.

This is very simple. Shoot in the evening and expose for the background. Chances are the shutter speed will be >1/30. If it isn't and you're shooting digital, turn down your ISO or stop down. So long as a car drives by while the shutter is open, you'll get your shot.

There's no way to keep the shutter open for an extended period of time (ie. more than 60 seconds?

Yes it's called BULB. Turning your shutter speed to this keeps it open until you press the shutter again. You'll need a tripod and, ideally a cable release so you don't shake the camera as you press the shutter.

Yes it's called BULB. Turning your shutter speed to this keeps it open until you press the shutter again. You'll need a tripod and, ideally a cable release so you don't shake the camera as you press the shutter.

If you can't find a cable release for the D40, get the infrared remote Model ML-L3 if you don't already have it. They can usually be had for under 20 bucks.

Look up "Lightpainting" that's what this style of long exposure is called. There are all kinds of cool, creatively things you can do with light painting.

Garrett

Thanks so much, that's the info I was looking for. Does the D40 have a BULB setting?

Unless you're shooting outside when it's absolutely pitch black, new moon, at low ISO and very stopped down, you'll rarely have occasion to shoot longer than 60 seconds.

You'd be surprised, i can think of several subjects that would take longer than 60 seconds. So does the D40 have a bulb setting?

As mentioned here, just turn your shutter speed down until it displays "bulb" instead of a number.

Set your camera to Manual first, then you can change the aperture as you need.

Most reactions

Back