How to tell which lenses will work with my camera

kkkkkk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I borrowed a d90 and lenses for a long time but now have my own Nikon D5200. I want to buy lenses but don't have a lot of money so I've been looking around - are there non-Nikon lenses that will work with my camera and how do I tell which ones will without testing them (if I buy them online). For example, there are Sears brand lenses...?

Thank you - sorry for all the questions

Bottleneck of all cameras are lenses, DONT BUY CRAPPY LENSES!!!!!!!!!!!
Even if a lens works on your camera it doesnt mean you should own it, buy it or use it!
Better have 2 nice lenses then 10 crappy ones.

There are few third party lens makers who make fantastic lenses but they will not be very cheap either.
If you have a specific lens in mind my advise open a post and ask how good this specific lens is or do the research online but again dont buy a lens just because it works on your camera and its cheap!

Two non Nikon lens makers that are popular and recommended are

Tamron
Sigma

I borrowed a d90 and lenses for a long time but now have my own Nikon D5200. I want to buy lenses but don't have a lot of money so I've been looking around - are there non-Nikon lenses that will work with my camera and how do I tell which ones will without testing them (if I buy them online). For example, there are Sears brand lenses...?

Thank you - sorry for all the questions

Don't know about "Sears Lens" ... but you can find compatible lenses at below link

Nikon D5200 Lenses

Also Tokina

It depends on your shooting style, telephoto or prime, etc. Sigma ART series are not cheap but they're very good.

If you are buying Nikon, make sure to get AF-S models. They have a built in focusing motor which your camera needs.

Nikon AF-I lenses also have an AF motor in them, and are included on the list I provided a link to.

Many D3x00 and D5x00 owners don't carefully read the Reference Manual included on the software disc that came with their cameras.
Both those model lines have a manual focus aid called Rangefinder. Rangefinder is not available in Manual shooting mode.
Plus, both of those model lines will light the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder when manual focus has been achieved at the selected focus point, even if using Manual shooting mode.

If you get the itch to get legacy glass, keep in mind that any of the manual-focus lenses will fit your camera if they are the AI type, or at least converted to AI. You'll have to focus carefully, as something can look good in the viewfinder and still not be even close to in focus. Use the rangefinder function, or AT LEAST the focus dot.

Much older non-AI lenses will not mount, and trying to could damage the camera.

ANY Nikon auto-focus lens will mount, but if it's not AF-S, it will not auto-focus, you'll be focusing manually, just like with older lenses.

The fact that Nikon didn't change their mount when they went to AF in the 80s is one reason I started with Nikon as I moved into the dSLR realm.

(And when I say ANY above, I'm not counting the odd super-expensive extreme specialty lens, like a fisheye that you have to lock the mirror up to mount.)

Note that the Rangefinder function only works if the lens being used transmits distance information from the lens CPU to the camera.

Also, Rangefinder mode is not available if you use the Manual shooting mode, but when using Manual shooting mode the in-focus indicator in the viewfinder will light when focus has been achieved at the selected AF point in the viewfinder.

I buy good condition legacy MF glass and have it "chipped." Allows me to buy great glass at reduced cost but by no means cheap. My preference for MF glass comes from being old. The feel and process of manual focus is comfortable and familiar to me allowing me to take images as I always have.

I find few situations where AF glass is truly necessary. But when it is,it IS. So I have a small collection of AF glass purchased used. I have yet to buy a new lens regardless of focusing mechanism.

I just took a couple minutes trying to confirm the rangefinder compliance mentioned above by KmH. I tried both chipped and unchipped MF glass with both the D90 and D3100. Worked for me with both types.That and consulting the manual says the rangefinder is available as long as the aperture is f5.6 or faster.

Most reactions

Back