How to use a Manual flash on Nikon D300

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an older manual flash that connects via the PC Sync port (the trigger voltage is 6v so it is safe) so when I plug it in and take a photo, the flash does not fire. The test button fires the flash so I know the bulb is ok.

I have also tried the pc sync to hot shoe adapter on a couple of Nikon cameras and it still does not work.

Is there a menu setting on the camera that I need to set for manual flash mode? I know there is a setting for manual lenses is it the same for a flash?

Thanks!

No. A trigger signal is sent to the hot shoe every time the shutter is pressed, regardless of whether or not a flash is present. Have you tried different cords, and what happens if you put the flash directly in the hot shoe?

There might be a setting, buried in the camera's menu that might tell the flash not to fire, but I wouldn't count on that being the problem.

Normally, the flash circuit is available to fire every time the shutter opens. If there is a flash attached via the hot shoe or PC connection, then it should fire.

Does the flash have a hot shoe? Have you tried it on-camera? I would guess that the PC port or the cable is shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back