how to use both film and didgital cameras?

I will try to load a stored film photo here. vin

Attachments

• as found up tight.JPG
    as found up tight.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 105
ill be more specific; I have vintage cameras, used film for years and now using a Nikon L-30. I need more training in digital use. vin
There are some differences, but not drastic differences. For one thing, the "ISO" setting is not a substitute or "upgrade" from the film speed designation, which used to be called "ASA". It is a completely different function, and it is used differently.

The modern lenses have some cool new features, such as image stabilization, and updated coatings, but fundamentally they are about the same. Some are very good, some maybe not so much.

Of course, you no longer have to load film and then process it, so there's that. You still have to care for your camera as a precision instrument, although with more electronic components than your film cameras.

Menus. You will find that digital cameras have quite extensive menus that are not always intuitive. Learning the menus will take some time and practice.

Lots more buttons, some of which are more useful than the others. Digital cameras have been engineered to be more user-friendly, so if you're having trouble warming up to them, you're probably trying too hard.

Unlike film cameras, there is a wider gulf between entry level and professional. Most people familiar with film cameras can just pick up a Pro film camera and get going. By contrast, the professional digital cameras need quite a lot of education, familiarization, and practice before anything becomes intuitive.

this i would like to know. i hope i have posted this thread in the right place. vin
Do you have a camera now? What type is it?

If you do not now own a camera, are you intending to purchase one?

If your question is centered on how to use them "both together", or alternate between them, you may have to inform us as to any difficulties you are having.
ill be more specific; I have vintage cameras, used film for years and now using a Nikon L-30. I need more training in digital use. vin

You have to be careful with the highlights, easy to blow with some digital cameras.

I prefer using the Fujifilm mirrorless camera, XT2 or Xpro2. They are very similar to a film camera, like my Nikon F or FM. Rings on lens for aperture, shutter dial on body, ISO dial on body. This provides a relationship to a repetitive approach towards making an image. IMO, this opens the door to think less about the hardware, more about the image. It can expedite photographic aptitude and creative style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back