how to use both film and didgital cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by vin88, Feb 3, 2018.

1. F5 Penguin

F5 Penguin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Digital either point, shoot, blast away, delete 999, keep 1.
    Or treat it like a film camera and use it the same way. Difference being you don't have to wait to get the film back from the lab.

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon L-30 is what most consider a "point and shoot" digital camera.
    This is to say that its designed around the idea of pointing the camera at the subject, letting Auto focus do the focusing and then taking the shot; letting the camera work out the settings itself. It features "scene modes" which are casual common situations that optimise the settings for those situations.

So for example there will likely be a sports mode (camera aims for fast shutter speeds); a macro (smaller aperture); no flash etc...

ISO is normally user controlled through the menus, so you've got that to play with and some point and shoots do let you adjust settings manually, though its often through menus so its somewhat slower than on an SLR camera.

In general read the manual for the camera through a few times and then go out and shoot; these kind of cameras are designed to be a bit like polaroids - point and shoot and instant results

• Like Like x 1
  3. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    too many favorite 35 mm film cameras. when i quit' using film, I was loading 9 and 12 exp. camera test rolls and " quicky shoots". I will go back if I can get the right film. also using the digital for "quicky" shots. vin

4. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I will try to load a stored film photo here. vin

Attached Files:

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There are some differences, but not drastic differences. For one thing, the "ISO" setting is not a substitute or "upgrade" from the film speed designation, which used to be called "ASA". It is a completely different function, and it is used differently.

The modern lenses have some cool new features, such as image stabilization, and updated coatings, but fundamentally they are about the same. Some are very good, some maybe not so much.

Of course, you no longer have to load film and then process it, so there's that. You still have to care for your camera as a precision instrument, although with more electronic components than your film cameras.

Menus. You will find that digital cameras have quite extensive menus that are not always intuitive. Learning the menus will take some time and practice.

Lots more buttons, some of which are more useful than the others. Digital cameras have been engineered to be more user-friendly, so if you're having trouble warming up to them, you're probably trying too hard.

Unlike film cameras, there is a wider gulf between entry level and professional. Most people familiar with film cameras can just pick up a Pro film camera and get going. By contrast, the professional digital cameras need quite a lot of education, familiarization, and practice before anything becomes intuitive.

6. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

7. StevenALee

StevenALee TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty interesting and useful as for me) Thanks a lot)

8. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I prefer using the Fujifilm mirrorless camera, XT2 or Xpro2. They are very similar to a film camera, like my Nikon F or FM. Rings on lens for aperture, shutter dial on body, ISO dial on body. This provides a relationship to a repetitive approach towards making an image. IMO, this opens the door to think less about the hardware, more about the image. It can expedite photographic aptitude and creative style.