How to Use Nikon SB 600 in Slave Mode

psran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just bought a Nikon SB 600 Flash in Used market. I t works wonderfully ON CAMERA but I am not able to Trigger it as a Slave Flash with my Nikon D7000 flash in Commander Mode OFF CAMERA.

I tried searching the Web and found that if I press ZOOM and - for 3 sec a 'Z' appears on screen , then pressed mode again and I got 'ON' reading on the screen but still the Flash Does not fire

Please pardon my ignorance, am I doing some very silly mistake

Maybe the infra-red sensor cannot get the signal from the camera. Have you tried to fire it near to the pop up flash?

Could be why it was on the used market. You may have to consider some sort of flash triggers.

Is the pop up firing?

Is you sb600 set to "remote" mode

Could be why it was on the used market. You may have to consider some sort of flash triggers.

I know you have some better ideas
I do. My idea is to by new or factory refurbed with a warranty or to fully test a used item prior to buying it. Simple fact is, it may be broken. Perhaps you should send it to Nikon and have it checked out.

Do you have the SB-600 user's manual? http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-600.pdf
Do you have the D7000 Commander mode and the SB-600 set to the same channel and group? (see pages 58-61 of the user's manual)

The IR window on the SB-600 has to be able to 'see' the flash of light from the D7000's flash unit. Sometimes that means you have to rotate the SB-600's flash head to re-position the window on the body of the flash unit to maintain that line of sight.

Try setting the on board camera flash to manual(not Commander) at 1/8 power and set the flash to manual mode(not TTL or A) and try tripping it that way.

The SB-600 does not have Nikon's SU-4 mode, which enables that kind of capability.

Hmmm. I did not know that.
Guess if he can't trigger it that way,then he has to do exactly what you advised him.

Hmmm. I did not know that. Guess if he can't trigger it that way,then he has to do exactly what you advised him.

Yes I think thats called Optical slave, Sb 700 has it but not SB-600

Yeah,my mistake.
I wrongly assumed that all the higher end speedlights since the 80dx would have a simple built in optical.

Most reactions

Back