how unedited do modeling portfolios have to be

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my friend asked me to do a modeling portfolio for her. This will be my first time doing and unedited shoot. My question is what does unedited mean. Straight out of the camera? I understand not editing the model body but how about lighting and making pics black and white. This shoot will be free btw. I dont have a makeup artist so what about temporary pimples.

I guess it depends on what the agency she's looking at requires? I shoot a lot of models for their port and I've never not edited an image. I have had girls trying out for cheerleading positions for the pro teams and those I only color correct and clean up blemishes that are only temporary ie; pimples.

I guess it depends on what the agency she's looking at requires? I shoot a lot of models for their port and I've never not edited an image. I have had girls trying out for cheerleading positions for the pro teams and those I only color correct and clean up blemishes that are only temporary ie; pimples.
I'm going to be honest, she want to be an exotic dancer and the "boss" of the company hasn't seen her in person and wants pics to see what she looks like. On one side it seems like they just want basic pics that probably wouldn't even need a photographer, on the other side I want to make it look more than a series of mug shots(front, side, full body). Although they just want the photos to see if her body and face are dancer material, I want to add some art to it without accidentally hiding any flaws.

Do both - one set of basic for her job application and another, artistic set for her and you to enjoy.

Id think she'd need to apply in person and show her skill as a dancer, no?

Its an agency with its headquarters located 1300kms away. So they asked for pics first before they went any further. The way it works in my province is that the dancer is contracted through an angency and they travel around and you cant dance inthe townor city you grew up in.

..and you cant dance in the townor city you grew up in.

Just as I thought.

As to editing, IMO it just means nothing that can't be duplicated by makeup. IOW: pimples will either go away or they can be covered up.

What do you mean "add some art"?

..and you cant dance in the townor city you grew up in.

Just as I thought.

As to editing, IMO it just means nothing that can't be duplicated by makeup. IOW: pimples will either go away or they can be covered up.

What do you mean "add some art"?

I meant as in dramatic lighting or poses. Because i am so used to lighting and posing models in boudoir to show the flattering traits and hide the unwanted ones, im worried I might end up misrepresenting her in the pics. On the other hand I dont want them be just like mug shots.

Not even. Some of them can't dance worth anything.

That's what Runnah and Ronlane and Designer told me. I would not know. :biglaugh:

I only go to places like that when the Mrs. is out of town. So I'm just guessing here. Y'know what I mean?

I meant as in dramatic lighting or poses. Because i am so used to lighting and posing models in boudoir to show the flattering traits and hide the unwanted ones, im worried I might end up misrepresenting her in the pics. On the other hand I dont want them be just like mug shots.

Go for the art, IMO. It will help her get the job, and you've got more portfolio. Win-win!

I agree make it as artistic as you like. With the exception that normally you might pose a model consistently to hide their least favorite body parts or whatever. Whereas here you are obligated to show the full body clearly.
But all that means is that you have to use a series of poses that together show her clearly. They can still all be artistic. They just can't ALL hide the exact same thing.
Otherwise I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't want to use good lighting, etc.

You want to use good lighting. You want good poses. You want elements of effective composition (no pole coming out of her head or distracting tree branches or studio wires hanging behind her). Light the backdrop paper so it's a true color. Get the white balance correctly. But just as a model showing up to a professional shoot is supposed to show up without makeup (so the MUA works with a blank slate and doesn't have to take anything off to get started with the shoot prep), in this case they likely want to see her unretouched...you didn't slim her down with photoshop, remove a C-scar, use a healing brush to take care of all that acne and while you were add it, made her a DD.

I suggest you shoot a couple of poses where you do edit but shoot a couple that are clearly unedited (at least she isn't) and give the club owners a clear sense of her body shape and proportion, skin quality and any tattoos or piercings.

Most reactions

Back