How Was This Done?

jgbarber65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the cover of the new Weird Al Yankovic CD Straight Out of Linwood? See it here: http://www.weirdal.com/

I realize this is photoart, but I was wondering if anyone could explain in more detail some of the techniques used here. I really like this effect.

Thanks,
Joe

The effect looks slick and expensive. Clearly people have spent some time on this image. I think he was shot in the studio with the animal and then elements were added.

looks like they parked the car in downtown LA near the bridge where they shoot all those videos anyway.. And that billboard to the left is prob a building with the lettering photoshopped onto it.... looks like just a normal cloudy day and they used some strobes probably around the dog and him...

the rest is just photoshop looks like some highlight.shadow crazyness to give it that surreal look, but not THAT hard to do.....prob a lot of layer manipulation

everything looks good but simple to do once youve learnt the basics of photoshop , its the sky that looks awesome to me.

jgbarber65 said:
Has anyone seen the cover of the new Weird Al Yankovic CD Straight Out of Linwood? See it here: http://www.weirdal.com/

I realize this is photoart, but I was wondering if anyone could explain in more detail some of the techniques used here. I really like this effect.

Looks like the PS artist took a major in photo PP, has a couple years experience, and spent considerable time on that image, JG.
I'm guessing what he/she did to it isn't easily explained in a few sentences.

Here is the stuff I notice:

Selective color. Looks like the ground, building on the right, the reflection on the car bumper, the dog and parts of the sky were turned black and white.

Lighting. Something I don't know much about but was most defiently done on site.

Localized contrast. The halo effect around all Al

Saturation adjustment

Text added on the building on the left (notice the reflection on the car is missing the big white lettering)

And lots of tweaking of levels, curve, sharpening.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back