How would I recreate the same effect in this photo?

jennifer33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there! I've been getting into fashion photography and one of the effects that I really would love to learn how to recreate is the hazy, sunlight back illumination, photos. Whenever I try to do this, I always get over exposed photographs. I want to know how to have the light perfectly illuminate the figure. My camera is a Nikon D3000 by the way, and this is an example of the photos I am talking about:
nimbus hour

If anyone could give me some tips or guidelines (especially on what time of day is best, what angle should I shoot from, good apertures and shutter speeds etc.), they would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your help!

Are you shooting in aperture priority, shutter priority, manual?

As far as tine of day, in those pics it was done at sunset...you van clearly see the sun setting over the mtn.

You need to spot meter so you can expose for the subject and not the entire scene.

Sunset or sunrise, and, as Ep said, a spot-meter. You may also need some supplemental light to avoid blowing out the background to severely.

In the first and second photos, notice the shadows under her chin and lower lip, and how dark her legs are in #3. Light was definately added from in front of, and slightly above her.

The quality of the light and the edge of the shadow under her chin seems to indicate the light from in from was likely reflected sunlight, though it could also have been modified, flash.

go out around sunset to a good spot where the sun will bleed over the trees or some other structure slightly deflecting it. Then position the model in the line of the sun with the sun behind them. you will then want to overexpose the shot by about +1. a reflector up front to get some added light on the models face would help but is not absolutely necessary. then crossprocess the shot by adjusting the color curves or find a nice preset somewhere and use that as a basis to start from.

hope this helps.

use anywhere from f1.4 - 4

Most reactions

Back