How would you crop this?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or would you? Struggling with whether or not to crop out the trees or use them for framing? They’re a bit distracting. Also how much to leave in above the bridge? I thought you all might like to weigh in by posting your suggested crop?

E50FF6B7-C92A-4DFE-A9AA-BC265DE76F90.jpeg

Nice framing.

I'd be tempted to trim off the bottom for square crop. Maybe even cut it closer to the bottom of the smaller tree.

square_crop.jpeg

Don’t know how to edit it here so
Bottom left loose tree use water as leading line.
Up to fork from branch left tree and green branch crop across top.
Down between r tree and one on edge of frame
Bottom crop over from just below base r tree and edge of water used at start as leading line

I wouldn't touch it because not only do the tree's frame the content, but the left one in combo with the right also is a leading line (perspective) to the content. I thought you planned that because it stood out immediately for me the day you posted it. I think you should print and hang it to be honest.

I wouldn't touch it because not only do the tree's frame the content, but the left one in combo with the right also is a leading line (perspective) to the content. I thought you planned that because it stood out immediately for me the day you posted it. I think you should print and hang it to be honest.

This is not the same exact photo as I posted in the other thread. A slightly different angle I think to include the tree on the left and a bit further away. I did purposely frame it between the two trees but on viewing it now I think they dominate the eye quite a bit. Maybe I will try to burn them down a bit so they are not so in your face?

This is not the same exact photo as I posted in the other thread. A slightly different angle I think to include the tree on the left and a bit further away. I did purposely frame it between the two trees but on viewing it now I think they dominate the eye quite a bit. Maybe I will try to burn them down a bit so they are not so in your face?

Maybe so but save what you have and print them both, you may be surprised...

E50FF6B7-C92A-4DFE-A9AA-BC265DE76F90.jpeg

Sweet shot. I also like the original framing. If you crop, here's my 2 cents. I might play with a little vignette. Is the image tilted a little?

View attachment 185600

Sweet shot. I also like the original framing. If you crop, here's my 2 cents. I might play with a little vignette. Is the image tilted a little?

Yes it may need to be straightened slightly. Hard to tell as the bridge is probably not level but I think using the waterfall as a guide it needs a tweak. I think you’re on to something with the crop. Thanks!

I like Zulu's crop. It's not as elongated and retains both trees.
I also liked Original Katomi's idea and since he didn't have a go at it, I did.

49421418742_d03acbeb43_z.jpg

Thank John you nailed the idea I had in mind, I don’t know how to edit others photos

I don't think that you can really crop-out the trees, because of the tree on the left being in front of the brook and having branches overhanging the bridge and culvert. You cut out that tree and now suddenly you have ony 5/6 of a brook and a weird branch intruding into your scene.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I’m going to straighten it just a hair, leave both trees in the frame and crop a tiny bit at the bottom.

Most reactions

Back