How would you deal with that?

BubblePixel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You take pictures "for fun" of someone else's kids...

A couple of weeks later you hear that they submited one of your photos in a contest and "oh joy!" they won a pretty nice prize...

You never gave them permission to use the pic for a contest, they never asked, you didn't charge for the photos...

What do you do - if anything?

It depends who they are, and whether you care to cause trouble with them or not.

In the US a photo is technically copyrighted the moment it's taken. In reality it's best to actually register the photo with the Library of Congress. I don't know anything about Canadian copyright law.

I would imagine that the contest specifically had a rule somewhere that said if the person submitting the photograph isn't the photogrpaher that they would need to have the photographer's permission. You might try contacting the people who organized the contest.

ksmattfish said:
It depends who they are, and whether you care to cause trouble with them or not.

In the US a photo is technically copyrighted the moment it's taken. In reality it's best to actually register the photo with the Library of Congress. I don't know anything about Canadian copyright law.

I would imagine that the contest specifically had a rule somewhere that said if the person submitting the photograph isn't the photogrpaher that they would need to have the photographer's permission. You might try contacting the people who organized the contest.

agree

Good question. I never really considered that...ironically my g/f submitted a photo I took of her puppy in a calender contest (2 weeks ago), and out of 190 something photos, it won "best in show." They gave her roses, and she had to do a quick little speech in front of everyone. I wasn't there for the award ceremony, but she did give me credit for taking the picture. :)

That sucks. If it was close friend, I wouldn't spoil the relationship over it, but I definitely would let them know that it was way not cool for them to do that. They also wouldn't get any more free pictures from me :)

I can understand the situation from their point of view, and sure, they should have consulted you prior to entering the competition, but it's not worth causing a problem over. Let it ride, they, I'm sure will tell others who took the shot and you could get more work from it.

Sometimes relationships are more important sometimes than principles.

Chalk one up to experience and call it good. If you are concerned about your photos discretion and going through the "proper channels" are key. Keep in mind that once someone has taken advantage of your work it is really hard to undo.

First, how did those other people get hold of those photos? As said above, it would depend on who the people were. If I knew them, it would probably be fine. But if I had no idea who they were, then I might have a problem. I might ***** them out, but otherwise I dunno what I would do.

Yeah I agree... if I was in your shoes I'd definitely feel like I had to mention it just to get some type of understanding but I wouldn't push the issue. Like the others said, you can't undo something and might not want to damage the relationship over it... or maybe you do?? :greenpbl:

Thanks for your feedack... btw, just so we're clear, I'm not the photographer (none of my stuff would win contests...LOL!!!)

... it happened to someone I know... and at first I was outraged but I feel the same way, Let them know but don't ruin the relationship over it... They really thought since it was their kids on the pic that the photo was theirs... the guy had burned them a cd of the pics, I guess it was the last time he did that. :confused:

mysteryscribe said:
Funny if I give someone pictures I feel I relinquish any right I have on them. A gift is supposed to be without strings// At least mine are.

I don't know Mysteryscribe...I think it's on par with painting a portrait of someone as a present and then having them submit that painting in a contest as theirs. Just because they own the painting doesn't mean they should enter it as theirs.

But, most non-artist types don't view photography like that. And, I'm sure these people just assumed that the subject matter is "theirs" so the photograph is as well. I would probably just let it slide and brag to people that my picture won a contest.

I don't really see the problem here, your friends photo won a competition (something to be proud of) and therefore got some publicity (something to be grateful for) and best of all he knows how much his friends valued the gift he gave them. On the other hand, his friends won a competition, got some nice photos and were able to get some free publicity for their friend who was kind enough to give them some photos.

Where is the loser here?

Huh?? What publicity????????
His name is nowhere on the picture...
He's much more kind hearted than me... I'd still be boiling mad! hehe... but that's just me! ;)

There is nothing to be mad over here. A picture was submitted to a contest and won. If the people who submitted it got some amazing prize they should probably give it to the photographer but short of that it does not seem to be an issue you should be boiling mad about. Definatly not worth causing trouble between freinds over.

Most reactions

Back