How would you edit this photo?

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this quick shot of my neighbor's dogs. I was thinking of cropping it in portrait mode.Also would like to clone or heal some areas of grass etc. What iPhone app would you use to edit this shot? I have not applied any edits yet. Suggestions welcome

DSC_4178.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I like the orientation; would crop but leave the orientation alone. Don't think it needs cloning or healing.

I would crop it fairly tightly, like this. I'm not sure what iPhone editing app would be needed, except to crop the image to an almost-square aspect, like this.

Attachments

• DSC_4178.jpg
    DSC_4178.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC_4178_1600x-2.JPG
    DSC_4178_1600x-2.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 138
I would crop it fairly tightly, like this. I'm not sure what iPhone editing app would be needed, except to crop the image to an almost-square aspect, like this.

Thank you Derrell! I always appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the square crop and placing the eye of the front dog in the third's cross hair. There is also a leading line of tree debris. Maybe clone out the green in the upper right and put a ever so slight vignette in it. Maybe brighten the eyes on both dogs

DSC_4178e.jpg

I prefer the square crop and placing the eye of the front dog in the third's cross hair. There is also a leading line of tree debris. Maybe clone out the green in the upper right and put a ever so slight vignette in it. Maybe brighten the eyes on both dogs

View attachment 136982

Thank you jcdeboever will try your suggestions as well. What app would you use to brighten the dog's eyes? I'm using an iPhone 5s.

View attachment 136982

Thank you jcdeboever will try your suggestions as well. What app would you use to brighten the dog's eyes? I'm using an iPhone 5s.

Can't help you there, sorry. The problem I had with my crop was the patch of grass at the top corner mainly. Not a deal breaker. Eyes too. That was a tough assignment because of your shooting angle. If you would have been to the right a few feet, that leading line could have made better imo. Still a cute shot crop or no crop.

View attachment 136982

Can't help you there, sorry. The problem I had with my crop was the patch of grass at the top corner mainly. Not a deal breaker. Eyes too. That was a tough assignment because of your shooting angle. If you would have been to the right a few feet, that leading line could have made better imo. Still a cute shot crop or no crop.

It was a quick shot so I did not have much time for anything, but I did clone out the grass and cropped it. Still have more editing to do though. They were just too cute to pass up.

It is a cute picture. In my opinion, the distance (too far) and angle (from too high) weaken the image a bit and make it feel a bit "snapshot-ish". I'd also crop it a bit tighter.

Robert Capa said:
If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough

Separately, when I first saw the title of this thread, I was expecting someone to add some Michael Bay explosions! :popcorn:

I totally hear you. I do sometimes prefer a different perspective and angle in shots, but in this case I was walking on the road and happen to see them for a second. They were running and then suddenly stopped. Yes I'm working on cropping. Thank you for your suggestions.

Derrel's second crop is the the way to go. Leaving some of the foreground path gives a lead into the subjects and preserves that telephoto look of the original.

Derrel's second crop is the the way to go. Leaving some of the foreground path gives a lead into the subjects and preserves that telephoto look of the original.

I agree with you I do like his crop. Definitely makes sense and looks good. Thanks for your comment.

Most reactions

Back