How would you fix the hard shadow in this pic

cardonalj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i had a funeral ceremony to attend to today (Marine Veteran) and i saw this door and wanted to take a picture of it. The problem was, there was a hard shadow on the left side of the door. I tried to use my gradient filter as best as I could and this was the best I could do. What would you have done different?

Wrought Iron Grave Door by LJCPhotos, on Flickr

Hey there! You could have completely eliminated the shadow using a flash. I would have directed it toward the ceiling or even toward the wall behind you, if there was one. Just a suggestion...

problem was, it was outside and no wall. and being the freak that mother nature is, it was a great 60 degrees and sunny in nyc so i didnt even want to use the shadow

You aren't going to get a seamless fix to that without re-shooting it or a LOT of editing work

If you have something like Photoshop that allows levels, make a copy of the photograph on a new level, mirror one of them and cut half of it off, then combine the two levels.

This is one of those things where you're not going to fix in processing and trying to do so will just make it look worse. Go back another day, go back later during the day, or rig up a diffusion panel if you don't want hard shadows from the sun on objects you cannot move.

Thats what I was thinking MLeek. I tried my best with gradient tool in LR3 (though i will admit i am just starting to learn the gradient tool and brush tool in LR). And Craig, I tend to steer clear from PS. i fall into the LR3 debate when it comes to LR vs PS.

This is one of those things where you're not going to fix in processing and trying to do so will just make it look worse. Go back another day, go back later during the day, or rig up a diffusion panel if you don't want hard shadows from the sun on objects you cannot move.

Thanks. I kind of figured thered be nothing I could do unles i cam back at a later time when the sun wasnt so harsh

Thanks. I kind of figured thered be nothing I could do unles i cam back at a later time when the sun wasnt so harsh

Actually, I disagree. I don't think it would be very difficult to fix. Care to post the original before you worked on it?

Doable but not simple, easy or even close to perfect.

You would be better off going back and shooting it again.

692433062719c014853db22.jpg

Most reactions

Back