How would you shoot this shot?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter's school has 100's (maybe 1,000's) of bats that fly directly over the school most nights when the sun is going down. It's a pretty amazing spectacle...

I'm not sure it would make for a good photograph, but how would one take a shot of this nature?

I suspect you would need to guess the distance and manually focus, then shoot with a speedlight on high power and hope for the best?

Thoughts?

Silhouettes were my first thought too. I would also see if speedlights placed up towards the camera could give you a rim light effect, instead of just lighting them from the front. Mike would know better if the speedlites would be strong enough.

I'd use pocketwizards and rigged OCF covering the scene

Focus is gonna be near enough to infinity to play hyperfocal distance games.

This same issue is going to make lighting them directly pretty difficult. They *feel* like they're right there, but they're 30 feet or 100 feet away.

Focus is gonna be near enough to infinity to play hyperfocal distance games.

Exactly. You'd need to get a good guesstimate to how close they are and then try to back into your HFD so you get a clear in-focus shot.

Estimating is gonna be tough, but I would bet that they're further away than you think. So guess and set that guess up as the near limit of the hyperfocal dance, and you should be good to go!

I'm hoping they are still out this time of year and that is hasn't gotten too cold. Last time I was at her school in the evening was about 6 weeks ago.

I would most likely use a gun and not a bow. It sounds like I have a pretty good chance of hitting one. What do you think j-dubs? This is your new nickname jwbryson1. It has a nice ring to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back