Howdy from California

MediocreMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy - Michael from California

I use to shoot B+W with Pentax Spotmatic way back in 90s, then graduated to a Nikon FE2, then an Elan II. I actually preferred the Nikon to the Canon, but it did not really matter that much. I got out of photography for awhile and just started taking pictures again last few years.

I do not consider my work to be art, but I am looking to improve, to some extent. I primarily photograph wild reptiles and amphibians to document their presence at various localities (photos act as vouchers in a national herpetology database that researchers can access). Clinical photography is good enough for that, but is boring to look at.

Anyway, why I'm here. Last year I have been shooting a Canon Rebel XT. It was a borrowed camera while I saved up for the DSLR I want. I dropped it in a creek. Fortunately that is an older model and I was able to replace it, but it made me rethink my plans.

I'm going back to shooting a consumer digital for most shots where clinical id fine, and shooting a film camera for the opportunities I get that I want to try and shoot artistically. I bought an Elan II body off of eBay. Drop it in a creek, less than $50 to replace.

I had forgotten how much I loved the big dial on the back. Digital Rebel may be far more convenient of a camera as one isn't limited to 36 shots, but the Elan II seems to me anyway to be much more enjoyable to shoot, especially using that dial for quick adjustments to the light meter.

It's been so long since I shot film, and when I did it almost always was black and white (Agfapan 100 developed by me using Rodinal in my bathroom, printing done at community college darkroom), that I thought joining a hobbyist forum would be greatly beneficial in catching up on the technicalities of color film. I won't process myself, I could never afford a color lab and I don't want to deal with chemical disposal, but discussions of film qualities etc. are what I'm interested.

-=-

My photography style -

I prefer to take completely in situ shots when I can, many (but not all) of the really good field herpetology shots involve cooling the animal for a few minutes in an ice chest so it can be posed and is easier to shoot with a tripod. I prefer to try and photo without molesting the specimen.

I almost always shoot hand held. However, I do own a full size Bogen (bought used, it's good enough for medium format but I want a different head, head on it seems to be for video), an off brand monopod, and an off brand compact tripod. I am making it a goal to try and use them more often.

It's really frustrating when an otherwise good shot is ruined by slight camera shake.

-=-

That's me, why I am here, probably more info than you want to know, but I'm ready to start re-learning things I have forgotten from my college days and start learning new stuff and hopefully will greatly improve my skill over next few years.

Most reactions

Back