HS Football, first photos with 70-200 2.8

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been wanting to get into shooting local high school football for a while now, but didn't have a fast enough telephoto to do so. I just got my Sigma 70-200 2.8, so I figured I'd go try it out. Still not really happy with the results once it gets totally dark out, my d40 simply doesn't perform well enough in low light situations (high iso, poor 3pt. AF). Anyway, what do you guys think of these: (sorry for the watermark, it is a much needed evil..too many players were stealing my photos using print screen. I wish they weren't covering faces in some, but smugmug doesn't let me adjust them on each photo individually, and if I put them in the corner it doesn't really serve it's purpose.

1.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

2.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

3.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

4.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

5.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

6.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

7.)
14005661_5tg2H
[/url][/IMG]

good shots I like them does the sigma cost that much less

good shots I like them does the sigma cost that much less

Thanks!! The sigma is $800. The Nikon is $1,700. You tell me it its that much cheaper lol

the sigma for the canon is not that much in cost diff. on B&H

These were shot with a D40? I never would have thought. Did you use a flash?

You did great work with the equipment you have...HS football is not easy...

The non-vr nikon competitor to the sigma would be the 80-200 f/2.8 which is 1100 new.

These were shot with a D40? I never would have thought. Did you use a flash?

You did great work with the equipment you have...HS football is not easy...

Yeah, D40 at iso 1600. I never would have though it either. I did not use any flash.

There was a lady there with a canon 50d, 70-200 2.8 is, and a 580ex 2 flash unit running on an external battery pack. My photos came out better than hers for some reason. I really can't believe my eyes, This is what I was getting with my old 55-200:

5054120515_c3edbea80b_b.jpg
[/url]DSC_3163_8887 by ddanser229, on Flickr[/IMG]

and this is AFTER noise reduction in cs5!!! of course this was at iso 3200 (Hi 1)

WOW what a difference that made very nice shots

Yeah, it definitley made a huge difference. I'm going to try shooting high school volleyball in a gym tonight. I had a much harder time with this than football last time so we'll see what happens

need more PP.. too dark.

need more PP.. too dark.

Yeah, I'm well aware. I tried to brighten them up but then the noise from shooting high iso became too apparent. This is the best I could do. Feel free to give it a shot it you want

Yeah, it definitley made a huge difference. I'm going to try shooting high school volleyball in a gym tonight. I had a much harder time with this than football last time so we'll see what happens

Yes, the lighting in the school gyms look to be ok until you take the first shot. Hope you pictures turn out as nice as the football pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back