Humpback's from Stellwagen National Marine Sanctuary

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spent most of the day tuesday on the NOAA vessel R/V "Auk," collecting Northern Sand Lance (Ammodytes dubius) from the Stellwagen National Marine Sanctuary for our research here at UCONN. We collected 87 fish this time, saw a lot of whales, an adorable harbor seal, and managed to avoid frostbite! Here's a few of the many whales we saw--we even had one humpback breach within 20 feet of the boat and do a beautiful headstand; it caught us all by surprise and I sadly didn't have my camera ready for that one.

_RSP0990-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

_RSP1031-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

_RSP1070-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

No wild breaches, but it was awesome to see this many humpbacks while doing research. It's day's like these that make this program and course of study so worth it :)

Cheers!
Jake

Nice! I'd love to have a go at shooting some whales someday.

It's really beautiful out there!! It's pretty hard to shoot whales, that's for sure.

Thanks for the kind words,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shots Jake. Is it unusual for the whales to still be there this time of year?

( Hijack: We are coming back to Sagamore Bridge spot again this year. Maybe a cup of coffee or a tent overnight spot if u need one?
Will be volunteering at Canal Visitor Center in Sandwich from April 15 ish til late October.)

Nice shots Jake. Is it unusual for the whales to still be there this time of year?

( Hijack: We are coming back to Sagamore Bridge spot again this year. Maybe a cup of coffee or a tent overnight spot if u need one?
Will be volunteering at Canal Visitor Center in Sandwich from April 15 ish til late October.)

We were surprised to see so many so active out there this time--we figured most would have moved out of the area by now.

Maybe a cup of coffee for sure!

Jake

[emoji43]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back