On Stellwagen Bank Collecting Fish with NOAA and the USGS

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone!

As some of you might know, I'm a graduate student at UCONN, and that's what I do with my real life. We went out this past week to the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary on the NOAA R/V Auk, with the intent of collecting the 200 Northern Sand Lance for our research. It was a gorgeous day, and we ended up catching 107 fish.

My favorite image from the set is actually this one below--we had such little time to relax, but I caught this moment of one of the guys from the USGS reflecting on the Sea Boss (the unit we used to actually collect the fish).

_RSP0339-Edit by f_one_eight, on Flickr

I'd really like if you can comment and critique this one! It's my favorite, but I'd love for you all to pick it apart so I can grow and learn! :)

P.S., if you wanna read the full article and see more images, click the link below to my blog post.

Sand Lance | NOAA "Auk" | Stellwagen Bank | 11-3-15

Cheers!
Jake

Nice. I had the pleasure of spending the day on NOAA's R/V Bay Hydro II in the Chesapeake, a few years ago.

Nice. I had the pleasure of spending the day on NOAA's R/V Bay Hydro II in the Chesapeake, a few years ago.

Oh fun! What were you doing out there?

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pics and write-up.

Mind if I ask what you're studying at UCONN?

I'm sitting looking at the "Auk" moored in the Harbor right now. Nice story and set of pictures. Oh you wouldn't want to be on the "Auk" today, waves are crashing over the breakwater.

Nice pics and write-up.

Mind if I ask what you're studying at UCONN?

I'm particularly interested in how Ocean Acidification and Hypoxia effect the growth and survival of nearshore fish species, particularly the Atlantic Silverside. My fellow graduate student is the one studying the Northern Sandlance.

Jake

Jake

I was interning at Coastal Survey, working on the Electronic Nav Chart data. They sent us out for the day. Normally they would have been charting but they were running benchmarks for the system - multiple straight line passes at various speeds so the computer could adjust depth readings.

Jake

I was interning at Coastal Survey, working on the Electronic Nav Chart data. They sent us out for the day. Normally they would have been charting but they were running benchmarks for the system - multiple straight line passes at various speeds so the computer could adjust depth readings.

Oh that sounds fun!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back