Hyper Real attempt from a newbie.. Comments?

in my opinion you guys over think this stuff.

That seems to be an unnecessarily unkind comment. I've been an admirer and supporter of your work, and I don't appreciate the zinger in return. It's not a question of over-thinking; it's a question of optimizing technical quality, which takes study, thought and experimentation. I gave my reasons for why it's important for me.

Not sure why you would take offense to my comment. It wasn't meant that way. I just see a lot of discussions on her about the technicalities of HDR and for me its not that important. I don't think there is a a right or wrong way and the final result is what matters. Each person should do their own experimenting to find there own style and technique.
I believe in training the eye and not following histograms. I also never read a book or tutorial on HDR and found my preferred settings through personal experimentation. Same goes for composition. I never read anything and just go off my gut. Maybe I could improve a lot if I read some books but I just like to find my own way. I know everyone is different and everyone learns in different ways so I do not think my way is right, just works for me

I don't think there is a a right or wrong way and the final result is what matters. Each person should do their own experimenting to find there own style and technique.
I believe in training the eye and not following histograms. I also never read a book or tutorial on HDR and found my preferred settings through personal experimentation. Same goes for composition. I never read anything and just go off my gut. Maybe I could improve a lot if I read some books but I just like to find my own way. I know everyone is different and everyone learns in different ways so I do not think my way is right, just works for me

I find this almost impossible to disagree with. Its basically how I have done, and still do, it.

everyone approaches it a little different. Some treat photography more as a science and its not wrong to do this. There is a lot of science behind it. My only warning with doing that is not to lose sight of composition and the overall feeling captured in a photo. A lot of the people I know who really break down the technical aspects of photography lack in creativity.(i am not saying that about anyone here so please don't take offense)

I see a lot on here and other HDR boards people speaking of covering the whole DR and if a photo doesn't they feel its a flawed HDR. I think HDR is just another method and process to achieve your desired photo. A lot of my photos have spikes in the histogram which would be considered bad but with that unbalance i achieved my desired look. Just because its HDR doesn't mean every shadow and highlight needs great detail. Sometimes this makes a photo worse and it loses it appeal. I see it a lot in HDR where people want such an even exposure that it looks fake and flat

Thats why the questions of how many exps and at what step, or how your settings were in photomatix are not that important to me. Each photo should be treated different depending on your desired goal. Every circumstance changes the settings. Sometimes I want to underexpose my bracket for a certain look or vice versa. Sometimes ghosting subjects will make me take 5 shots instead of 9. Handheld also makes me take less shots.
Gear is also a big issue. I take 9 shots at 1ev steps because thats the most I can get out of my D300s without doing it manually. This is enough for me in most cases and I do feel with more exps you get more control. Is this fact, I have no clue. I wish my camera could do a 2ev step but it doesn't so I work with my gears limits.

everyone approaches it a little different. Some treat photography more as a science and its not wrong to do this. There is a lot of science behind it. My only warning with doing that is not to lose sight of composition and the overall feeling captured in a photo.

I get your point, however this technicality-debate started because I asked in the topic-opener on people's opinion on how to reduce the noise I seem to struggle with, by finding the "theoretically" best spacing and method for shooting HDR.

Maybe, as you mention, there's not really any such thing, since it's all about what feels right and which goal you in the end try to pursue. But as a newbie, I guess I'm not really that common with everything yet, so I strive to start from the best starting point, by reading books and asking about other people's opinions, and combining this with my own starting experience.. Maybe I won't do anything like the "theoretically optimal" in 5 years, but that's how I try to start.

This debate was regarding noise-control, and I'm very much interested in what seems to be the best way to avoid this.. Since Slick and I had completely opposite ideas of how to get around this, I think we both learned something new. But in the end, nothing beats the practical experience you mention, I agree..

Personally, as I've mentioned before, with my camera and the things I tend to shoot, I don't see any difference between 5 shots with 1EV spacing and 3 shots with 2EV spacing. This is important for me, because I do a lot of hand-held HDR.
That's how I shoot handheld as well, but I mainly bring my tripod when shooting for HDR.
I think I'll try experimenting some more to confirm that there's actually any difference to be found.. If I come up with something interesting, I'll post it in here..

everyone approaches it a little different. Some treat photography more as a science and its not wrong to do this. There is a lot of science behind it. My only warning with doing that is not to lose sight of composition and the overall feeling captured in a photo.

I get your point, however this technicality-debate started because I asked in the topic-opener on people's opinion on how to reduce the noise I seem to struggle with, by finding the "theoretically" best spacing and method for shooting HDR.

Maybe, as you mention, there's not really any such thing, since it's all about what feels right and which goal you in the end try to pursue. But as a newbie, I guess I'm not really that common with everything yet, so I strive to start from the best starting point, by reading books and asking about other people's opinions, and combining this with my own starting experience.. Maybe I won't do anything like the "theoretically optimal" in 5 years, but that's how I try to start.

This debate was regarding noise-control, and I'm very much interested in what seems to be the best way to avoid this.. Since Slick and I had completely opposite ideas of how to get around this, I think we both learned something new. But in the end, nothing beats the practical experience you mention, I agree..

Personally, as I've mentioned before, with my camera and the things I tend to shoot, I don't see any difference between 5 shots with 1EV spacing and 3 shots with 2EV spacing. This is important for me, because I do a lot of hand-held HDR.
That's how I shoot handheld as well, but I mainly bring my tripod when shooting for HDR.
I think I'll try experimenting some more to confirm that there's actually any difference to be found.. If I come up with something interesting, I'll post it in here..

Thank you for your post. I think it helps clarify the direction of the discussion.

I am not taking a hit at anyone and I still don't understand why you took offense to my first comment slick. I didn't think it was mean at all

About noise its part of HDR. I think its well known downside to HDR, but some things can minimize it. I find processing in photomatix has the best impact on minimizing it.

As someone mentioned noise comes mostly from underexposed shots. Since HDr requires underexposed shots you will always have noise. Now rather 5 shots at 1ev or 3 shots at 2ev which equals the same range makes a difference with noise seems to be up for debate.
I wouldn't let noise be the deciding factor on how many steps you use. Noise is coming either way.

Try shooting at ISO100 and see if it helps. I normally shoot all mine at ISO200 and don't change because it works for me.

I was having issues with noise in the sky a lot before but after paying attention to it more in PP it has become a minor issue for me now

Perhaps I'm just over-sensitive to the common criticism that I over-think things. I'm a scientist. I read, I study, I experiment...over and over and over. I challenge assumptions and figure things out. You'd think that people would find that useful, but the fact is most people find it annoying.

lazy? only 3 shots?

man, bracketing... i could snap off 10 shots in under 3 second no problemo.

still though, i shoot 1.5ev in my experience adjusting to about 1 stop is the maximum in PP before you start seeing noise and detail loss.

I would have to agree with Mysh & stand by his comment he did not mean any more by it
the topic is being over thought heck I participated in the discussion so I am guilty of over thinking the technicality aspect of it. Ultimately it boils down to what can you do with the available dynamic range the scene has to over if your method is 3 shot's great if more shot's then great as well just do what you think it's best and have fun with your images.:D

If you read around the web this post can last for days on end because one person will tell you this way is better then you read another article that contradicts the previous one
so just try and see what you feel is the optimal settings for you to work with be your own judge.

Perhaps I'm just over-sensitive to the common criticism that I over-think things. I'm a scientist. I read, I study, I experiment...over and over and over. I challenge assumptions and figure things out. You'd think that people would find that useful, but the fact is most people find it annoying.

Without over thinking we may still not have lightbulbs. To me that is how we discover new ideas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back