I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK (becuase i'm an idiot)

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Because of my stupidity, I hope nobody who reads this thread makes the same mistake that I just did.

WHEN YOU FINISH WORKING ON YOUR IMAGES, SAVE THEM. NOT THE SMALL WEB SIZE ONES, BUT THE FULL RES VERSIONS as well.

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to match and completely re process one of my HDR's because I failed to save a copy of the full resolution version. I had to re-tonemap, color correct, channel mix, dodge, burn, spot, and all other processing to try and match this new, full size version, to the resized old one.

Needless to say, i got close, but not exact.

PEOPLE, SAVE YOUR WORK so you're not like me and have to redo it.

You did this just once?

lol, you say that like it happens all the time.

Again this morning, and a very time-consuming composite at that. The upside is that it was a crappy piece of work.

Most of my shots I'll process maybe three times anyhow. Admittedly though it is irritating to get tired and blow a session- And, it only happens when I'm tired.

What? You got of easy. I accidentally deleted full sized and the RAWs in one go because they were hiding in a folder under a window on my desktop and I didn't realise they were selected.

Be thankful all you lost was a few hours and the "exact" match. It could have been worse :(

I do my best to copy all of my pictures to two separate hard drives when I import them. How about you guys?

I do that too, but I don't think i saved it after I edited it in the first place.

I really should do something as a backup since my photos are not stored anywhere safe while I'm working on them. The finals go to a RAID1 array.

My images are:
  1. off the media card, every week ... or after every serious shoot activity.
  2. They go to HD for work
  3. a copy to of the original to CD/DVD ... for original archival.
  4. Any photoshop work goes to sub-folder called "adjustments" and work archival
  5. Weekly compressed backup to DVD
Works for me. Got two years worth of work that way ... no losses. Backup, backup ... and a copy ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back