I am in Dilema, Help Please

alfombraroja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post and I need some help. I am in the market for a new DSRL. I am not a professional photographer at no means. I was in the video business quite a few years ago, so things are very different now. I need to do a lot of photography for websites, mostly car photography. Right now Ive been using a point and shoot but obviously it is not good enough. A macro lens and wide angle would also be necessary because we do a lot of closeup pictures.

A local photographer is trying to sell me his Fujifilm S3, he is a professional photographer and the camera has seen a lot of use but it is in fair condition. Also included are 2 nikon lenses 1 80-200 mm 2.8, dont have the specifications for the other one, only that is a macro and is a 2.8 also. He is also including the nikon sb-600 flash.

The price he wants for the complete package is $2K and some training by him would be included. Like stated before this equipment probably has been used for 3 years. If I buy new equipment somewhere hes going to charge me $ to train me. Here are my questions and I appreciate your answers.

1. Is this a good deal for this equipment (training provided)?
2. Should I go for newer body like the Nikon D300 or the S5

Thank for reading my post

What is the shutter count on the camera?

I found this online from another person that is selling one S3

I have called Fujifilm and spoke to their tech line. They told me it is IMPOSSIBLE to find the shutter count. I have no idea what is the shutter count, I just know how long it was used and what it was used for.

Heya, "Red Carpet", welcome to ThePhotoForum.

Well, I'm sorry I cannot really be helpful in replying to your question, though I get the feeling that 2000 Dollars for a 3-year-old camera body and two lenses is a bit on the expensive side... I would not buy a three-year-old camera body, I think, not if it is a digital camera, where the shutter becomes wonky after so-and-so many times of having been used. (Or so I hear, I'm still "on my first DSLR", after 2 years and 3 months).

But I wanted to say hallo and tell you that I like your screenname and wonder why you call yourself that !? Red Carpet. :D

Heya, "Red Carpet", welcome to ThePhotoForum.

Well, I'm sorry I cannot really be helpful in replying to your question, though I get the feeling that 2000 Dollars for a 3-year-old camera body and two lenses is a bit on the expensive side... I would not buy a three-year-old camera body, I think, not if it is a digital camera, where the shutter becomes wonky after so-and-so many times of having been used. (Or so I hear, I'm still "on my first DSLR", after 2 years and 3 months).

But I wanted to say hallo and tell you that I like your screenname and wonder why you call yourself that !? Red Carpet. :D

Thank you for the warm welcome. The screen name is because of my daughters. One of them picked the usersname. :)

the 80-200 lens is still sold for $900 new, Though i can not comment for sure but judging by the 80-200 his macro is probably the older 105 macro non vr.

That would be about $1400 in equipment alone, plus the 600 = about 1500. So you would really bbe paying about 500 for the body

of course these numbers are estimates. Im not sure though about the camera but i am sure he took good care of it. And it seems like you wont be putting it to crazy use with sports or photojournalism. I would definitely consider it or atleast ask him for a shutter estimate

Most reactions

New Topics

Back