I am thinking about buying a Drone

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
To add another element to my hobby I am thinking of buying a Drone. Has anyone any recommendations or suggestions.?

You could pm light speed 666 and ask questions about drone photos

Too vague of a question. Kinda like asking what vehicle you should buy. Are you taking photos, videos or both? Will this be a commercial enterprise (using a drone to make money opens you up to a lot of laws that will apply to such an enterprise)?

Not bothered about video just stills...........

DO IT!

From what I’ve heard, the DJI Mavic Mini is the “enthusiast” drone to get these days. Affordably priced, very small and portable, great range, and impressive flight time. The only downsides from my perspective are lack of obstacle avoidance, which can be more trouble than its worth, and no raw photo capabilities, which you’ll need to pay a bit more for if that’s important to you. I picked up a DJI Spark about a year and a half ago when it was deeply discounted at its end of life, ands have been very happy with it for the same reasons. The Mavic Mini seems to meet all the same criteria, but at a lower price point (and smaller wit longer flight time).

I have a DJI Spark as well; the still are okay... not great, but okay. Video is very good. I use it mostly for event work, but it is fun to just go exploring as well.

I have no advice but curious what others say. What is your budget? There are some large enough to carry your camera on a gimble and my Canon can be controlled with wifi but I suppose there is a much much better drone specific than that.

Also, can you think of shots you were unable to get without a drone or is this just buy it and experiment?

I have yet to go to a mavic mini due to price and my flying ability right now. I purchased cheaper drones in the $100 range. Picture and video quality is not great but I dont freak when I crash while learning to fly. And you will crash while learning to fly. Just sayin :) I will go with a mavic mini once I get better at it and this long winter is over so I can practice. I think its the best under 250gm drone right now so no "drone license required" at least in the US and Canada until they change the rules again.

Thanks for all the advice guys, can you buy a crash-proof drone ??..:)

I want one! There’s a local photo tour company here that offers a drone workshop (they supply the drone) and I was planning on taking that this spring. An afternoon of drone flying for a small fee. Need to make sure I’m capable of flying one before I buy. Video games give me motion sickness...

@Destin can offer some advice I bet.

drone-bee.jpeg

Drone bee. Free (in some locations).

Last edited:
After looking at prices that I can afford along with their various capabilities I have decided not to go down this route.......

Have you thought about buying used? I routinely see kits on Craig's List and similar at half, or less of new prices with very little use.

hanks for all the advice guys, can you buy a crash-proof drone ??..

Not if a human is flying. Actually the second one I got, also cheap, had a takeoff function. You click the takeoff button and it rises to about 4 feet and hovers. It may still drift laterally but this really made a big difference. That drone is still on dry land, in one piece.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back