I can see clearly now...

I got a Mac and I'm amazed how much nicer the monitor is. Everything on my PC looks dull and gray compared to the Mac. We'll see if what they say is true...Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!:mrgreen:

Welcome to the oh so happy and wonderful world of Apple Computers and OSX :)

I got a Mac and I'm amazed how much nicer the monitor is. Everything on my PC looks dull and gray compared to the Mac. We'll see if what they say is true...Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!:mrgreen:

Glad you got something better than you had...but for me, that little idiom is definitely not true.
I have two laptops at home; a Mac, and a Toshiba. No problems with my Toshiba (except for being on my THIRD battery), but lately the Mac keeps crashing for no good reason, even when all I'm doing is surfing the web.

I also have two desktop computers at work. A Mac and a PC. No problems with the Mac, the PC has had viruses (from when one of the city's IS guys worked on it and then forgot to restart the firewall and the antivirus program...), it's had multiple BSODs, and it's just SLLOOWWW. And the monitor is terrible. Granted, I have a nice 24" monitor attached to the Mac.

I love my Macs. And I love my Toshibas.

OOOPS...Not my intention to start the whole PC vs. Mac debate. I had a piece 'o crap PC and the monitor sucked. I didn't realize how much of a difference until I had them side by side. I'm just excited to have a nicer computer. :D

Yeah, I bet a nice, new PC next to the old one would have produced the same excitement. New is always so much fun!

Yeah but in my years dealing with the whole Mac or PC issue with family, friend and coworkers. One thing that tent to be true is,that the new happiness feel last years longer for Mac owners than those with PC.

There is no difference between the PC and a Mac except for the operating system. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Ahhh young grasshopper...you have so much to learn :)

He's pretty much completely right. You can easily build a PC, and use top quality parts and make everything is compatible, and get the same experience, heck you can even install OSX and make a Hackintosh, and get better than Mac quality. The problem with the PC world is that so many people buy pre-built PC's, and they usually are built using mid to low quality parts, and come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage software.

sm4him said:
Glad you got something better than you had...but for me, that little idiom is definitely not true.
I have two laptops at home; a Mac, and a Toshiba. No problems with my Toshiba (except for being on my THIRD battery), but lately the Mac keeps crashing for no good reason, even when all I'm doing is surfing the web.

If you do a time machine backup, and then erase the HD, migrate everything except the library files, you should fix anything that went wrong. If its still having problems, try not migrating applications.

If you are still having problems, then it is most likely hardware. Replace the hard drive. If that doesn't fix the problem replace the memory, one module at a time. If that doesn't worth, then you may have a motherboard issue.

You can also go though your library file and delete anything you are not using if you know what you're doing. My biggest complaint with windows is the ADHD approach to shared libraries.

Wow only 2 pages. I thought for sure it would be a 5 pages by now.

I know nothing constructive to add...

There is no difference between the PC and a Mac except for the operating system. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Not quite. Macs use PC hardware but only specific, well matched components carefully chosen by Apple. Then you have the OS and device drivers which make a difference, big difference in some cases. On top of it all is quality control. That's the reason you see so many people who saying "I have a 5-year old Mac and it's working just as it did when I bought it". Not many PC users can say that.

Wow only 2 pages. I thought for sure it would be a 5 pages by now.

There is another Apple thread going in a different forum so it's relieving some of the heat here :)

I recently bought my first Mac too and am amazed with the whole thing

xj0hnx said:
He's pretty much completely right. You can easily build a PC, and use top quality parts and make everything is compatible, and get the same experience, heck you can even install OSX and make a Hackintosh, and get better than Mac quality. The problem with the PC world is that so many people buy pre-built PC's, and they usually are built using mid to low quality parts, and come pre-loaded with a bunch of garbage software.

Building a PC to meet specifications is cost effective and is a clear advantage, but your experience is far from ordinary. Most hackintoshes are junk and riddled with driver incompatibility. I have never known anyone to use such a setup for doing anything serious. I'm sure that you can find someone, but if you're that PC savvy why would you?

For most Apple users, any 'Mac Tax' is worth paying for the operating system, and is easily offset in less expensive system software upgrades.

Yeah but in my years dealing with the whole Mac or PC issue with family, friend and coworkers. One thing that tent to be true is,that the new happiness feel last years longer for Mac owners than those with PC.

...probably true. But, overall I've not found nor heard of any "magic bullet" which makes one better than the other over the long term. A computing machine is a computing machine. I enjoy listening to the this-is-better-than-that discussion every time it comes up (this thread is far from that!). Always good entertainment. But after many years of watching, there never seems to be a hands down winner. Shows the marketing departments are doing their jobs...it continues to be a tight race all around.

In fact, a co-worker just ordered his first Mac...will be interested in his feedback. For the record, I own a bunch of PC's and at least one Linux box.

Ahhh young grasshopper...you have so much to learn :)

Unless You have a way to build it from carving a solid block of aluminum I don't believe it's gonna be Mac quality.

My macbook is at the end of its rope. Am I the only person who will be going from mac to pc? You can get sooo much more for your $ with pc and my mac has been fixed so many times. After 2.5 years I needed a new harddrive! I can't wait for my new pc ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back