TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I did a search for fireworks
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/search.php?do=process&query=fireworks

I saw lots of great photos, but, I would like to know what I will need and what is the best way (shutter/ap/iso) to capture them.

I know it will depend on the circumstances, but at what setting would you recommend for fireworks? long/short shutter? tripod needed? (atleast as a starting point)

I have an XTI and a
- Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6
- SIGMA DG 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Telephoto Lens with Macro Switch (200-300) and AF/M Switch (Lens in Box)

There will be Fireworks on Sunday, so I am wanting to read up and prepare.

Thanx for your replies.

Tripod definitely. Longish shutter speeds for the light trails. Small apertures to give you good depth of field - helps cover focusing issues in the dark. I'd suggest using the 18-55mm to start - wider coverage and less chance of the firework disappearing out of frame.

As to actual settings, I'm not too sure, maybe after Germany I'll know, as Corinna says there might be some to see whilst we're there.

Thanx Chris for the tips.

Anyone with some other tips?
Anyone who has taken photos of fireworks?

I asked very similar questions before my first try at fireworks here.

This is one of my results.

DSC_0050a-1.jpg

Aperture - f/9
Shutter Speed - 5 seconds
ISO - 200
Focal Length - 55mm

It really is a lot of trial and error. Good Luck.

Camera on a tripod.

Shutter set to bulb: open shutter as the firework you want to caputre starts going up, close shutter when explosion is at full.

ISO: 100

F: 8 or 11

It would need to be dark out. Use a rear curtain flash to capture any people you would like in the photo with the fireworks behind them.

Sorry to throw out a pickle in this thread. But the last time I took photos of Fireworks, I went handheld. The camera was set to 'manual' (very important so the meter won't get confused) Aperture wide open and a shutter of about 1/30-1/60, ISO 400. Those settings gave me crisp, clear images of the fireworks themselves, but shadowed the rest of the scene completely. If you are going to want trails, or shots with other static landmarks then mount'er on a tripod for sure.

Make some notes on how you want to shoot and study them before you go since firework displays are sometimes quick and it would suck to miss shots from fumbling around with settings.

Good luck and post some results.

Make some notes on how you want to shoot and study them before you go since firework displays are sometimes quick and it would suck to miss shots from fumbling around with settings.
That's a mouthful right there!

I had my camera (D80) less than two weeks when I shot the photo I posted above. I arrived well in advance, picked my spot and set up as best as I knew how, prefocusing, checking aperture, shutter speed, ISO (easy to forget), and then making sure the autofocus was off. I have no doubt I can achieve better results now, but I was quite chuffed with what I came away with because I was relaxed and prepared.

Yes, I would. If you have prefocused on your spot, it's not needed. With low light, your lens is likely going to hunt (zooming in and out trying to find the subject) with autofocus on. You don't want that happening.

Get in before the fireworks start. For the love of god pick a background. I have never seen a plainer photo that a firework going off in the sky with no background.

Set up your tripod pick an iso and an aperture which will give you roughly the right exposure for the background for around 5-8 seconds. And switch to manual focus. You want the camera to react when you push the button not hunt for focus.

Finally, when the first firework goes off, take the rule book and toss it in the ocean. Set your camera to manual with bulb exposure and take photos depending on how long streaks you want. Want short streaks hold the button down for 2 seconds, want long streaks hold it down for 10 seconds.

But then also dynamically adjust to the situation. If you find yourself constantly taking short streak 2 second photos and your background is too dark, then open the aperture or raise the ISO, and visa versa for long 10 second photos.

In 15 minutes or so you should be able to take a hell of a lot of photos and once you get the hang of it (5 minutes in) you'll find most of them are keepers.

486068637_ea4fad1f74_b.jpg

^^ Very nice shot, Chris.

I have only done the fireworks thing once, but they turned out quite well. The one thing I picked up on is sometimes you want a shorter exposure just to get one "shell", but sometimes its neat to do a longer one and get several.

I have a pretty visual memory so I kind of layed on my back and stared up at the sky where my camera was focused, and I would mentally keep track of how many and what kind of shell was up since I opened the shutter... when I thought I had enough, I closed it.

I'm certainly not going to boast about the shots... it was one of the first things I did with my cam, so they weren't totally amazing, but overall I was pretty happy with the result.

Actually one of my fireworks shots is a hot download on istockphoto, now that I think about it. I forgot about that...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clo.../133861_celebrating_old_glory_1.php?id=133861

To add to the recommendations...mine would be to USE the tripod...and keep ISO to absolute minimum...adjusting the aperture when necessary.

IMO I do not like the noise generated with higher ISO because it really shows on a night shot and you lose that black sky which really contrasts the fireworks.

I can't find a good reason to shoot anything at night with a tripod at higher than ISO 100...maybe there is one but that's just me.

Wonderful advices on here. Thank goodness I searched before I posted. With the 4th of July coming up I was looking to do some firework shots. Again thanks for all the great info.

Most reactions

Back