I did it! I'm thrilled! (several pictures)

EscapeTurn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My second try at race photography with my new D50. Of course they could get better, and I welcome suggestions, but I'm really happy with how these turned out.

I'm trying my darndest to capture their beauty, power, and determination in a photograph.

Flying Symphony
flyingsymph01.jpg

Oats Tom Busby
oatstombusby01.jpg

Og Bet Or Call
ogbetorcall01.jpg

Okie Bronson
okiebronson01.jpg

Flying Symphony again
flyingsymph02.jpg

Symphony again
flyingsymph03.jpg

Iruska Cervi
iruskacervi01.jpg

Roy Jack
royjack01.jpg

Down the first stretch...
race09.jpg

race10.jpg

All were taken in shutter priority mode at 1/1000, and the last three with an ISO setting of 800.

I hope I didn't post too many pictures at once! :confused: Thanks very much for your suggestions, they helped! ;) Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

They're pretty damn good. Greyhounds go like a whatsname, so you've done really well to freeze them. Now save up for that 400mm f2 lens! :)

Very cool. You rocked these shots. Man.. those dogs look like they are motoring.
Well done. !!!!!!

these are awesome, you improved your shots a lot in a very short amount of time. nice work :thumbup:

wow...i have never seen race dog shots...that is great..love the action ones...that one dog is up there, hanging on a rim i think....really awesome...!

i agree with most of the above i like the way you have forzen the action but i think it would be nice if you got some good panning pictures at a slower shutter speed

Much better! Every shot does show what you were going for, their speed, agility, power etc... I am not certain what lens you have, but the slight OOF in pretty much each, may be because your lens needs to be 're-calibrated' (not using the right word there) I just got that impression when looking at the photos in which it seems it might be back-focusing a tad. Over the holidays I am going to 'test' each of my lenses then take the ones I am 'concerned' with.

By the way, didn't even notice the signature until I looked through them again, and it is very nice and subtle :)

Thanks so much for the nice comments yall! Peanuts, I used a Quantaray 70-300mm to take these. It came with the camera for an extra $100. It's not fancy, but it sure does the trick. I thought the same thing about the focusing.

my favourite is the fourth one... it is always nice for me to see pictures taken with d50 becuse I'm still considering it.
and this is a question to all of you. do I see a chromatic abberation in the first pictures? on the edges of the white areas? is this a chromatic abberation? and tell me please, if it is, is it natural for telephoto lens or no?

mentos_007 said:
my favourite is the fourth one... it is always nice for me to see pictures taken with d50 becuse I'm still considering it.
and this is a question to all of you. do I see a chromatic abberation in the first pictures? on the edges of the white areas? is this a chromatic abberation? and tell me please, if it is, is it natural for telephoto lens or no?

Yep it's a touch of purple fringing. It's most likely that it's caused by the lens at that length being wide open. It can also be caused by jpg resizing, but not usually that distinctive. Doesn't really detract from the pictures and you only notice it if you're a pedant like me! :)

Most reactions

Back