I did it!!

cillie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.prophotography.co.za
After about 3 weeks of soldering and cursing I managed to put together a high speed flash photography system. This consists out of a laser trigger and a delay unit. And tonight I took my first shots! Many thanks to :hail: Hanno (thatcamerathingy) for tons of advice and support!!

IMG_7558.jpg

IMG_7461.jpg

err...i think i just spent the last few minutes trying to figure out what's in the reflection of the first big drop of water. nice shots!

This is just awesome! What exactly did you build and how??

Wow. I am suddenly inspired to try (note: try) somethign like th is. Everything is spot on. Now the real question is how many shots did it take you to get this? ;)

Wow! These are great! Your persistance paid off!

Thanks guys!!

Well.... how DID I do it? First the main is the fact that you use the flash to get your exposure time way down instead of the camera's shutter. On the 550ex the exposure time on 1/164 power is a few micro seconds. This means you work in a totally dark room with the shutter open. Then just at the right time you fire the flash to expose the subject.

To fire the flash you need an electronic trigger. I used a laser pointer and infrared LED receiver. When the falling drop breaks the beam a signal is sent to a delay unit which delays the output pulse depending where you want to capture the drop.

Easy as pie!! (Yeah right!) There's a lot of info at www.hiviz.com.

Here's what my setup looks like:

DSCF1898.jpg

highbred3d said:
err...i think i just spent the last few minutes trying to figure out what's in the reflection of the first big drop of water. nice shots!

I coud'nt either! I tried making a self portrait with my reflection in one of the drops but am yet to succeed. It's just a matter of getting the right setup.

This is just sooooo cool.
What a setup!
Amazing. The results are worth it.
Now I know that this kind of photography is for somebody else (like you, Cillie), but certainly not for me... :shock:

Most reactions

Back