I did sooo not want this to happen!

Thank you all for your kind words.
I'm up early and only went to sleep very late - this accident is, indeed, "haunting" me, like Terri says her mother's accident did to her mother... The scene keeps repeating itself in my head over and over...
There was never any doubt that my car had instantly killed that doe, the impact was too enormous.
I only realised it had been a pregnant doe when I found the two unborn babies... :( That was the sorriest aspect of it all.

Funny row of coincidences happened last night:
I came round that bend in the road and bang!
I didn't carry the mobile and thought "How am I going to let Andreas know that HE must go collect the children now?"
I did a U-turn on that wide and - at the time of day - empty road, planning to drive back home and alarm the police from there.
Then I saw all that debris from my car on the road and thought I had better pick that up, which I did, while my car parked in the opposite direction to what it had come on the verge, alarm lights blinking.
Then I saw the babies :(.
And a police car happened to come up that moment. "Deer accident?" they asked. And I said "Yes, but I can't find the deer. But there are two unborn babies here." They stopped and the police woman took out a big brush from her car to clear the road from splintered glass (my headlights), while I asked her colleague to put himself in touch with my husband please so he'd know HE had to go collect the children. Which he did. And he started writing the report.
Then a Land Rover kind of car pulled up behind mine and a man clad in the typical hunter's greens came up. The police woman asked "Do you happen to be the owner of this land?" which he was. All he did was agree with me that it was, indeed, very sad, but totally unavoidable. And he found the mother down in the ditch. All he did was carry the two dead babies (he told me they would have been born in about a week or 10 days time) to their mother's dead body and left them there. I think, nature will take its course, or even has already over night, in the shape of foxes, raptors or crows... :(

Well, meanwhile all my details had been put into the report, Andreas had been alerted, and I could carefully and slowly go back home - which wasn't far to go, I had barely left the village. It was only back here that I started to shake...

Funny to hear you saying I should sell that car, Hobbes.
The police woman said the exact same thing. Actually she asked "Didn't you hit a deer on the ring road last fall? I remember this car!" She had been one of the two on that scene, too! And remembered...

This is the point where it happened (I took that photo a couple of days earlier, not knowing....)

24a_mitPfeilReh-Unfallstelle.jpg

Well I think you should sell your car and stop taking photos of roads.

Glad you're okay. It is a bit sad about the deer. But at least the little deer were still inside of her when she was killed. Otherwise they would be left to look after themselves in the wilderness, and I dare say that they wouldn't last long and I would think it would be a scarrier experience outside of the womb. (((hugs)))

Wow, what a story, Lafoto. :hug:: It probably will take a while to shake this and you may never really forget it. Again, just glad you're all right, the deer did NOT suffer. That's really the only good thing.

Sad day for you. I'm so sorry.

I'm glad you're ok! It is sad that the deer and her babies died, and I hope you get over it. This is one thing I dread as a driver, but unfortunately these things happen. The main thing, as Chase said, is that you're ok.

I'm sorry too. Glad you're okay. The main thing is you have a heart to care about it. There are many people in the world, like terri's mom came to contact with, that just treat it as "another road kill", and don't even ponder on it. You didn't mean for it to happen, there was NOTHING you could do to stop it. Please don't beat yourself up over something that could not be prevented, try to look at the positive apects that you'd have gone to, to prevent, and the fact you're not cold hearted, for all you know it could have been hunted the next day by hunters which is far worse, as it would have been on purpose.

Hunter's Season is off for the time being, since most of the does are either expecting (like this one was) or giving birth these days...
Yes, I have long come to the conclusion that NOTHING could have prevented this from happening, it all went so fast that I did not even have time to START! Brown shadow and bang!
And I feel still sorry. Mostly so about the unborn babies...
I do not want to know what MIGHT have happened if I had had the time to start and react in any way. Who knows how I'd have reacted and what might have happened then...! :roll:

Most reactions

Back