I did the assignment anyway :)

Help? No......that was not the intent of the thread.

I'm laying on the couch feeling like I'm on my death bed right now, so maybe my brain just isn't processing things correctly right now, but I think everyone would agree when I say.... if you posted example images (which I'm assuming you have since you said you did an experiment today), it would be MUCH easier for us to help you. :sillysmi:

Miss Emily... I DO hope you get to feeling better soon! Here is a hug for you, too! :hug::

Aw, thanks! :hug::

It started hitting me late last night, and I just *knew* I was going to wake up feeling miserable today, haha. It happens. I'm just hoping that when my husband comes home and sees that I did NOTHING today, that he realizes I'm not just being lazy or spending all my time on the couch online for fun.

I just can't move. :lol:

I'm hungry... and I keep trying to get my cat to cook dinner for me (I mean I feed HIM all the TIME!!), but he won't. He just stays sleeping on the chair next to the couch I'm dying on. :lmao:

I'm hungry... and I keep trying to get my cat to cook dinner for me (I mean I feed HIM all the TIME!!), but he won't. He just stays sleeping on the chair next to the couch I'm dying on. :lmao:

Be careful what you wish for... my little beast has woken me up twice by dropping a freshly caught mouse on my chest while I was sleeping. I don't know if he was showing off, or thought I needed a snack! lol! (although it could have been a bribe to stop snoring too, I guess!)

.....awwww...feel better soon!

Go back to the original assignment I gave you... It reads:

Here is what you need to do today when you are spending your shooting/learning time.
First-learn about the focus points and how to use just one of them-not all.
THEN: Set up something inanimate. Teddy bear, shoe, coke bottle. It doesn't matter what it is. Then play with your aperture. Shoot the object from the same distance-say 5 feet, just shoot it at f/1.8; 2.8; 3.5; 5.6; 7.1 and so on... You will need AMPLE light to do this in. Shoot outdoors if you can in the best possible amount of light. Use your auto ISO and aperture priority. When you are done shooting put the images on the computer and look at each one.

Then shoot the same series over again from 10 feet away. Put the images on the computer and look at each one.

Come back and tell us what you saw and learned.
Tomorrow's assignment: Shutter speed-hand held.

What we are looking for is ONLY the effects from aperture. I don't care what your other settings do. I only want you to see the aperture in this assignment.
Yes, you will need to have a point of sharp focus in each image, so don't ignore focus. If you are using your tripod it shouldn't change, so the images should all be exactly the same except for the amount of focus in them. Which leads me to...

I also said wayyyy back in probably your first or second post that I REALLY think that lens of yours is front or back focusing. The fact that you had NO focus in the images posted at f/1.8 AND you have no focus in this project at 1.8 and don't really have focus until 6.3 REALLY makes me think you have a lens with a focusing issue.
You NEED to test that lens. You will never get a good photograph out of a lens that is focusing somewhere other than where you are locking your focus. You are beating your head against a wall for something that is probably not your fault here!!!

When did you purchase the lens? Do you have the receipt? Did you register it for warranty?

Last edited:

Be careful what you wish for... my little beast has woken me up twice by dropping a freshly caught mouse on my chest while I was sleeping. I don't know if he was showing off, or thought I needed a snack! lol! (although it could have been a bribe to stop snoring too, I guess!)

Aww! :biglaugh:

.....awwww...feel better soon!

Thanks lady! :hug::

Sorry for the brief hijack.

I'm laying on the couch feeling like I'm on my death bed right now, so maybe my brain just isn't processing things correctly right now, but I think everyone would agree when I say.... if you posted example images (which I'm assuming you have since you said you did an experiment today), it would be MUCH easier for us to help you. :sillysmi:
I had been wondering where you were!

I had been wondering where you were!

Oh, well THAT'S not why I've been missing. If anything, that's why I came BACK today, hahaha. :lol:

I've just been super busy.

My husband and I moved the day after Christmas, so on top of the holidays, we were busy packing... moving... unpacking... and somewhere in there I was trying to find time to edit and go to shows and what not... :lol:

But since I'm immobilized today, I figured today would be a great day to stop in and curse you all with my presence. :sexywink:

Go back to the original assignment I gave you... It reads:

Here is what you need to do today when you are spending your shooting/learning time.
First-learn about the focus points and how to use just one of them-not all.
THEN: Set up something inanimate. Teddy bear, shoe, coke bottle. It doesn't matter what it is. Then play with your aperture. Shoot the object from the same distance-say 5 feet, just shoot it at f/1.8; 2.8; 3.5; 5.6; 7.1 and so on... You will need AMPLE light to do this in. Shoot outdoors if you can in the best possible amount of light. Use your auto ISO and aperture priority. When you are done shooting put the images on the computer and look at each one.

Then shoot the same series over again from 10 feet away. Put the images on the computer and look at each one.

Come back and tell us what you saw and learned.
Tomorrow's assignment: Shutter speed-hand held.

What we are looking for is ONLY the effects from aperture. I don't care what your other settings do. I only want you to see the aperture in this assignment.
Yes, you will need to have a point of sharp focus in each image, so don't ignore focus. If you are using your tripod it shouldn't change, so the images should all be exactly the same except for the amount of focus in them. Which leads me to...

I also said wayyyy back in probably your first or second post that I REALLY think that lens of yours is front or back focusing. The fact that you had NO focus in the images posted at f/1.8 AND you have no focus in this project at 1.8 and don't really have focus until 6.3 REALLY makes me think you have a lens with a focusing issue.
You NEED to test that lens. You will never get a good photograph out of a lens that is focusing somewhere other than where you are locking your focus. You are beating your head against a wall for something that is probably not your fault here!!!

When did you purchase the lens? Do you have the receipt? Did you register it for warranty?

Ok, my bad, I forgot to change my ISO to auto. I will repeat the assignment tomorrow. I don't "think" the lens has an issue, It wasn't that I didn't have focus at all but the one that looked best was at f/6.3. The first had no focus what so ever, but I have had great point of focus wide open before so I think it was my fault. I never bought this lens. My grandfather is a photographer and when he switched to Nikon he gave me this lens. He said it was practically new and he hadn't used it much.

Ok so tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny so that will be beneficial. What if I do the assignment using my 50mm and then switch to my 18-55mm and do it again with that lens?

Post the images in a flickr so I can see them. Particularly the f/1.8, 2.8 and 3.5 images.

e.rose:You have my deepest sympathies. Moving the day after Christmas is not something I EVER want to contemplate. You deserve a day of incapacitated!!

Sick exercises that are (almost) fun:

- lie silently, and try to make note of all the different sounds you're hearing.. as in everything!
- try to control those "lights" that appear when you close your eyes. Make them blue, make them yellow, make them green circles which spin, or make them into faces. Try to see cars, trees, whatever you like
- get into a comfortable position with a solid wall in front of you. Be equipped with one soft ball of some sort. Throw ball at wall and catch. Count all the times you can do this without dropping it. For more experienced wallballers, throw with one hand, catch with the other. Or, do everything with your off hand. Or, if you're feeling gutsy, throw the ball at the wall, and don't catch the ball. Let it fall onto your stomach, chest, balls (for all the male members) or face, depending on how intolerant to pain you are. Highly recommended to have more than one ball. Should you, God forbid, drop it, there's nothing worse than actually picking it up again. Even better, have a wallball slave that picks it up for you, without you needing to ask. This is addictive, beware of major time killing
- look at your walls, and try to notice all the different angles you see. Some angles are 90 degrees, but they doesn't seem like it from your perspective. Reflect upon that, and think about how little we actually know. How knowledge all depends on our perspective. Why do we call something a rectangle? Because the norm is to determine the shape of the object from directly above. Not from the sides, which would make a rectangle more into a trapezoid. Reflect upon that, and come up with other examples which demonstrate that "knowledge" depends on our perspective and our current paradigm.

Try it, thank me later :D

Well Emily we like to be cursed by your presence ;) hope ya feel better soon.

Too Elizabeth ;) just take some time and practice practice practice. I'd shy from posting on the forum. When the going gets ugly it'll get super ugly. I've seen this happen with many a noobs. Practice til you think you nailed your assignment then and only then post your photo for cc. Write what you were going for. The exif data. How you think you did. What you could have done differently.

Just trying to look out for ya b4 it does get uglier. Doesn't mean leave but hide in the shadows and read other posts for a bit and practice :)

On a brighter note! Keep shooting girlie! Don't let the "man" get you down!! Practice and prove to these folks you are taking in what theyre saying!

I too was in your shoes when I first joined here. I too thought I was good enough to charge for photos. I too rushed into trying to learn everything. I too got blasted from more of the seasoned folks for not taking in what they were saying i too was told to slow down. So i slowed downI took someones advice and practice practice practiced and stopped posting for a bit and then when I did reappear they saw I did take what they were telling me and applied it. Now a lot of the folks I look up to and hope they cc me do cc me bc they saw that I really did slow down and try. Just gotta slow down. Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

The best one was at f/6.3 So that tells me that this small bottle didn't even have the best focus until f/6.3 so if I'm tring to focus a person (obviously much larger) then I'm really cheating myself out of a good photo by shooting wide open.

That being said I'm going to half to redo the assignment due to the low lighting today. When my shutter is only going at 1/8 there is no way to really see if the OOF is due to aperture change or shutter speed. Cuz 1/8 is REALLY slow even with a tripod it's difficult to get a decent pic at that speed.

shutter does not control DOF

not cheating youself out of a good photo by shooting at a wide aperture, it's realy hard to focus at a low F stop but if you do it right its amazing.

just watch Gevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Post the images in a flickr so I can see them. Particularly the f/1.8, 2.8 and 3.5 images.

e.rose:You have my deepest sympathies. Moving the day after Christmas is not something I EVER want to contemplate. You deserve a day of incapacitated!!

Ok, they are uploaded..... do I need put the aperture in description for you?
Aperture Test - a set on Flickr

Most reactions

Back