I don't care what gear you use...

CWyatt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.camuswyatt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... and neither should you. Hopefully this isn't too inflammatory. I just feel the need to say, seeing so many continuous threads about what lens is sharper than another, which camera is better than another, that these are simply tools - a means to an end. The final image is what matters. This is 99% your timing and composition, not whether you used a slightly sharper lens to shoot it than you had last week. The greats don't list what gear they used to capture the great images. They had what they had and they got the photo. I have taken better photos with the kit lens than I have with my nice sharp primes, and vice versa. Great photographers have taken great images using the most basic of equipment. Of course the tool matters, if you need that to capture the moment - and good gear Can help - but the emphasis should be very much on what you shoot. What matters is that you DO capture the moment. Gear is but a part of the role to get that image that has something to say.

The same could go for other technical considerations.
"What use is having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith

To clarify - I don't bemoan choosing good gear. I use a K-7 and fast prime because it has stabilisation, is fast and not too noticeable. However I don't discuss it all the time, list it continuously, and feel that is or isn't why I get my images I want.

Use what you need to and be done with it! Thoughts?

I'd like to trade you my 126 cartridge-loading Kodak Instamatic X-15 for your Pentax K-5.
I'll send it in a box big enough to hold the Pentax and any lens you can spare. I'll also include 10 packs of flashcubes AND the original wrist strap. Do we have a deal?

In case you need more info on the X-15, which is a highly collectible camera, here's a page with lots of cool images of this awesome camera. I've had it for a long time, and will be sorry to see it go, but I feel the need to move away from this silly old film stuff and into a digtial SLR with built-in preview and in-camera image processing and free developing.

Instamatic X-15 - Google Search

I've made some great photos using this X-15. Birthday parties, New Year's Eve parties, shots of Christmas presents being unwrapped, the Pacific Ocean beaches, the California Redwoods, the ACTUAL, live, REAL Smokey the Bear, the ACTUAL, real-live Mickey Mouse, AND Goofy, AND Sleeping Beauty, all at Disneyland, in their natural habitat.

It has great depth of field too: the fixed-focus lens is focused at 6 feet I think, so it has pan focus from 4 feet to infinity! And the shutter is super-reliable,and always,always,always runs at the same,exact speed! EVERY SINGLE SHOT! I bet the Pentax K 5 you're going to trade me for it cannot make that claim as far as shutter speed reliability. AND, my X-15 shoots photos without batteries!

... and neither should you. Hopefully this isn't too inflammatory. I just feel the need to say, seeing so many continuous threads about what lens is sharper than another, which camera is better than another, that these are simply tools - a means to an end. The final image is what matters. This is 99% your timing and composition, not whether you used a slightly sharper lens to shoot it than you had last week. The greats don't list what gear they used to capture the great images. They had what they had and they got the photo. I have taken better photos with the kit lens than I have with my nice sharp primes, and vice versa. Great photographers have taken great images using the most basic of equipment. Of course the tool matters, if you need that to capture the moment - and good gear Can help - but the emphasis should be very much on what you shoot. What matters is that you DO capture the moment. Gear is but a part of the role to get that image that has something to say.

The same could go for other technical considerations.
"What use is having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith

To clarify - I don't bemoan choosing good gear. I use a K-7 and fast prime because it has stabilisation, is fast and not too noticeable. However I don't discuss it all the time, list it continuously, and feel that is or isn't why I get my images I want.

All absolutely true, but a guy's gotta have a hobby, right?

Tho I understand your frustration with gear talk. It is a part of the process and an important one.

Do artist only talk about visualizing the art to create among their get together's in forums or coffee shops? No they talk about how one brand of oils is far superior or how brushes from a specific brand give them a little more control over their canvas. I have heard it on and on in coffee shops around campus. Yes they talk technique and the great masters but gear talk is always there threaded through the other topics.

Or Model builders building works of beauty from scratch talk of the advantages of specific tools,paints and adhesives and glue often very specialized for doing one thing very well. Or building or fine tuning racing cars or racing bikes, From Gardening to Master Chef cooking. It is also about the tools. And a Chef will tell you that you are not serious about your cooking without the right knives and pans.

And when the rabid followers of their passions are not actual doing their craft. Then they love to talk about it. And many times it's not the creation but the tools used to create that gets a lot of attention. The reason being everyone striving to produce better. And Human Nature for what it is always goes for the easy fix first having the best tools. As it is harder for many to express themselves on talking,understanding and applying the creative process and technique.

I'm not saying that it is right. But it is what it is. Which is the Human Condition in all aspects of it's striving to understand and expand themselves. And often times failing.

I see it as a duality of my interest...

When I see a final print, discuss photography with a friend, or join in a group, I could care less about equipment. I don't even like to have discussions focused on equipment. I tend to focus on technique, mind set, composition, and the enjoyment of the process of creating something..... from beginning to end. It's part of the reason that part of this hobby included darkroom (not much anymore), post, and print. A big portion of my time is dedicated to assembling themed photo albums (small house limited wall space). It's usually those that I will take out and show to friends and family. A photo displayed on computer still feels unfinished and unfulfilling by comparison..... it's directly tied to a piece of equipment rather than standing on it's own.

One the other hand, I absolutely love trying all sorts of different cameras and such. In a way a hobby as well in it's own right... Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Leica, different formats, different, glass, old, new.... simple complex. I visit camera stores that attract retail guys that are just as excited about photo equipment and usually end up borrowing neat stuff too. One shop will spend a couple hours on me as I am a good loyal customer.

this duality is precisely why I rarely post photos for discussion (usually more casual) and primarily stick to more technical discussions. I have a different outlet for the former interest.

I was at my Leica dealer today. For the first time, I asked to take a few shots with the absolutely well respected 50mm summilux Asph. I examined the samples at home. OMG, that is one impressive glass.

One camera/equipment/tech side of me absolutely drools for it.... even considering selling my Noctilux to fund it.

The photographer side of me, sees the results as too sharp .... too perfect ... too clinical. It attempts to make comparisons to my photos in catalog and ultimately just doesn't care.

I think its a common problem no matter what your industry is. I have a D3000 and I have seen MANY threads saying negative things about them BUT its still a DSLR camera and it is my learning tool.

When I was Cheffing the young apprentice chefs would always ask "Whats the best knife to buy?" "Is X-brand knife better than Z-brand??", the point people keep forgetting is that A- You have to start somewhere and the first thing you need to learn is the basics,a flash $500 knife is not going to make the basics easier/faster to learn... and B-If you don't have the skills then that $500 you spent is wasted.

Everyone has to start somewhere and while the more expensive gear can help,if you don't know how to use all the features/functions your not using it to its best. The idea of upgrading my camera is exciting but I still haven't figured out all the features or found the limits of it so there is no point in upgrading until I do.

My favorite knife is still the $150 knife I bought over 7years ago so I'm sure my D3000 will keep me going for a while yet. And when I do need to upgrade I now where top ask the "What next?" questions.

My 2c :mrgreen:

You want to see some application of this kind of stuff then ask an audiophile what the best brand of cable is. :)

You want to see some application of this kind of stuff then ask an audiophile what the best brand of cable is. :)

...are we talking 'what make the eardrum beat to a happy tune"? ;):mrgreen:

I heard a saying not too long ago.... 99% of lenses are better than 100% of photographers. In other words, there are not many people who actually use their lenses to full potential, but yet they want to upgrade.

I shot fast moving people with my old 50-200 telephoto lens, plastic mount, slow focus, crap IQ. Same day, same event, I used my friend's 70-200 2.8 IS and it made a world of difference in what I was shooting.

I think its a common problem no matter what your industry is. I have a D3000 and I have seen MANY threads saying negative things about them BUT its still a DSLR camera and it is my learning tool.

When I was Cheffing the young apprentice chefs would always ask "Whats the best knife to buy?" "Is X-brand knife better than Z-brand??", the point people keep forgetting is that A- You have to start somewhere and the first thing you need to learn is the basics,a flash $500 knife is not going to make the basics easier/faster to learn... and B-If you don't have the skills then that $500 you spent is wasted.

Everyone has to start somewhere and while the more expensive gear can help,if you don't know how to use all the features/functions your not using it to its best. The idea of upgrading my camera is exciting but I still haven't figured out all the features or found the limits of it so there is no point in upgrading until I do.

My favorite knife is still the $150 knife I bought over 7years ago so I'm sure my D3000 will keep me going for a while yet. And when I do need to upgrade I now where top ask the "What next?" questions.

My 2c :mrgreen:

Wusthof Classic Knives of course. NO ONE touches my Wusthof Knives.

Wusthof Classic Knives of course. NO ONE touches my Wusthof Knives.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I was about to order Chef Tony's Miracle Blades for only $39.95.

I don't care what gear you use...

b-b-but I'm a gear whore and like shiny new toys.

While you general premise for the casual photographer is correct. I use Canon for a reason. I shoot sports. They have bodies specifically geared towards this form of shooting. A 400mm f2.8 is pretty much a must. I don't see one in the current Pentax lineup.

Nikon and Canon get a lot of press because of the extensiveness of their systems compared to the others. They cover a wider range of photographic needs in both bodies and lenses. They also have a wider selection of lenses in some of the same areas. Canon has 4 different 70-200mm lenses. People considering buying one want to know the difference. Same with the 50mm f1.8 & f1.4 from both Canon and Nikon.

Does this mean that Sony, Olympus or Pentax do not make good gear? No. All of the camera manufactures make quality gear. Gear choice is an individual shooters, be it for costs, features or what ever their reason. Perhaps if there was enough interest the forum moderators might consider individual forums for each of the different manufactures for dedicated discussion.

Of course I agree, but this is a photography forum on the internet. 87% of us are gear nerds at heart.

And that means we love new toys with buttons. Im a techie at heart. I still play games on the internet, (blush) I get super excited to get a new computer, ipod, camera gear, coin sorter thats automatic. Hell even the automatic card shuffler was a nifty toy for awhile. Ok shutting up now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back