I don’t need another lens but...the new Fuji 70-300

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone else getting the new Fuji 70-300 f4-5.6 OIS WR?

I know I don’t really need it but I want it. It’s ordered and I will pick up on 5/27. Just in time for Princess’s prom, senior class parade and graduation ceremony!

I think I’m going to finally sell off the lenses I don’t use anymore. The 18-55, the 90 and, if I like the new lens, will sell off the 50-230.

i just sold off all of my old x series gear. i loved it, but just don't use it anymore. i've only had the fuji 50r or sony out for the past two years.

I know I don’t really need it but I want it. It’s ordered and I will pick up on 5/27. Just in time for Princess’s prom, senior class parade and graduation ceremony!

I think I’m going to finally sell off the lenses I don’t use anymore. The 18-55, the 90 and, if I like the new lens, will sell off the 50-230.
Fine but I'd also look into some trailing edge bodies as the basis of new subject-specific outfits. Just a thought...

If 230 was your longest, you'll enjoy the extra reach. And if it is latest generation it likely has noticable optical, AF, and IS improvements. When you finally make the trip out west you'll be glad you have it.

If 230 was your longest, you'll enjoy the extra reach. And if it is latest generation it likely has noticable optical, AF, and IS improvements. When you finally make the trip out west you'll be glad you have it.

Yes for sure. I had a 70-300 Tamron VR for my Nikon and I enjoyed that bit of zoom. I was going to rent the 100-400 for Princess’s graduation but then realized that the 70-300 was finally out!

Congrats on your new lens! I've sold or traded much of my collection but now regret it! That old glass is probably dear to your heart and one day you just might need one that you sold. Let's say conditions are really bad, you're near the waterfront---wouldn't you rather have "your oldie but goody" instead of a new, expensive item? Easier on the brain to lose from weather damage (or any other kind) instead of a new unit.
Been there, done that---my new 80-400 Nikon ruined in a fire helicopters liquid drop. Big tears! Fell on my butt running from flames, smashed the lens, got soaked with retardant from the helicopter.
But, I got the shot.

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Congrats on your new lens! I've sold or traded much of my collection but now regret it! That old glass is probably dear to your heart and one day you just might need one that you sold. Let's say conditions are really bad, you're near the waterfront---wouldn't you rather have "your oldie but goody" instead of a new, expensive item? Easier on the brain to lose from weather damage (or any other kind) instead of a new unit.
Been there, done that---my new 80-400 Nikon ruined in a fire helicopters liquid drop. Big tears!
Agreed. This is why I have 6 bodies and at least one lens for each. I used all of them fairly regularly just for that reason. I have weather sealed lenses but I doubt they can handle being dumped from a kayak!

I don't have a ILC X camera anymore but I still follow it. From the images I have seen from this lens are really nice and it's a lot lighter than the 100-400. It's definitely better rendering than the 50-230 and good enough as far as the 100-400 in my opinion.

i haven't used longer than the 18-135 in a while...ill have to look up the 70-300 and see how it specs out.
whats the price on it?
also, i have been looking at the 90mm for a while now so if you go to sell yours let me know.

Currently diverting $$$ into audio but did just order a K&F Nikon F-to-FX adapter to bring neglected favorite manual Nikkors back into active service. Still locked down, so what the hell?

Currently diverting $$$ into audio but did just order a K&F Nikon F-to-FX adapter to bring neglected favorite manual Nikkors back into active service. Still locked down, so what the hell?
I have an adapter from them and it works well. Their products for Fuji are a good value for the money.

i haven't used longer than the 18-135 in a while...ill have to look up the 70-300 and see how it specs out.
whats the price on it?
also, i have been looking at the 90mm for a while now so if you go to sell yours let me know.
I had been holding on to the 90 to use for my daughter's senior and graduation photos. Will probably end up using the new zoom instead so it is no longer needed. I'll PM you about it once graduation is over.

Nice. So what will your Fuji kit be when all the horse trading is over?

With one camera and only 3 prime lenses, I can't decide what zoom to get that would replace what I use and satisfy my needs, so I end up never pulling the trigger on new gear.

Nice. So what will your Fuji kit be when all the horse trading is over?

With one camera and only 3 prime lenses, I can't decide what zoom to get that would replace what I use and satisfy my needs, so I end up never pulling the trigger on new gear.

When all is said and done, I’ll have

Xt2 x 2

Fuji 14mm f2.8 (landscape, astro)

Fuji 16-80 f4 (landscape, walk around, if I can only bring one lens this is it)

Fuji 35mm f2 (not sure if I’m keeping. I don’t use it very often. I’m not much for primes but I like this for when I want a small kit to throw in my purse for family parties etc. redundant with the XF10)

Fuji 60mm macro f2.4 (I love the bokeh on this lens and won’t ever sell it)

Fuji 70-300 f4-5.6 (nkotb)

Fuji 50-230 (I’ll keep it because it fits in my pocket and is light in my pack for hiking. Best cheap lens out there)

Samyang 12mm f2 (astro, landscape)

Lensbaby Velvet 56 f1.8 (macro, flowers)

Helios 44m (cool bokeh but I don’t really need this one - it’s a dust collector)

Fuji XF10 fixed 18mm f2.8 (great for every day carry in my purse and for hiking. I should use this more but I seem to always reach for my iPhone instead. I’m giving myself one more year with it and then will sell if it’s still not being used enough)

I know that seems like a lot but... I shoot everything from astro to landscapes to macro to sports to flowers to the occasional portrait

Most reactions

New Topics

Back