i dont understand monopods

lordson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i went to store and had a look at a monopod, and its just a bloody stick with a grip on it

how the hell do you use monopods? i dont see how they are meant to stop camera shake at all

i suppose it has something to do what that grip/strap, but i have no idea

I thought the same thing except my 80-200mm f/2.8 arrived in the mail the other day. Try keeping a 200mm pro lens steady with no aid. It's heavy, and my very next purchase will be a monopod.

Admittedly it is probably less useful for small cameras / lenses, but if your lens has it's own tripod collar then chances are a monopod can help in certain situations.

You have to support none of the weight...

Your camera doesn't vibrate or shake when it's not being held in the air..

I dono why you dont' get it...lol.

If you tried it, you'd see.

It's often used in sports photography.

try shooting in a booth at a hockey game with 20 other shooters around you and you all have 400mm f/2.8's on.

no room for a tripod, and if you need to boogie, you can get out quick.

Try shooting a football game with a 400mm handheld, or with a tripod. Both are possible, but very difficult (and with the latter, you'll look like a loser to other photographers :lol:).

A monopod is handy for these type scenarios but you can rest your camera/ lens on any stable platform, a wall, a fencepost, a rock etc etc. H

I think they are great for "on the fly" shooting, and you don't need to worry about the space of a tripod footprint. Let the monopod hold everything, it is more stable then you might think.

i can only repeat what people said :

a) it reduces vertical camera shake to almost zero

b) it reduces camera shake since your muscles are much more relaxed if they do not have to hold the weight of the camera.

c) they are extremely comfortable if your camera+ lens weights more than 2 kg and you have to hold if for a long time (talking of hours or more) ... and still it leaves the flexibility for very fast movements for action shots-

Honestly, if you don't understand monopods just don't buy one.

Honestly, if you don't understand monopods just don't buy one.

I would not say so ... sometimes enlightenment comes when you start to use things and realise their value.

A monopod is handy for these type scenarios but you can rest your camera/ lens on any stable platform, a wall, a fencepost, a rock etc etc. H

True, but then you would be letting whatever is handy/convenient/available (like a rock, platform, fencepost, etc) begin to dictate where your camera position will be. A monopod can be moved anywhere, adjusted in height, etc, giving you added freedom and flexibility in composing your shot in conditions where you need a bit steadier hand.

My monopod goes with me wherever the camera goes. It's lightweight, takes up no room and invaluable when I need it.

Jeff

The carbon fiber ones make a good walking stick and a great weapon to go chase and poke the nearest Kodiak bear you find in the woods... or so they tell me! (lol !!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back