i finally found the time......

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
to reshoot this picture.

i originally posted the first version in the critique forum. after rethinking it for a few weeks, and getting tired of leaving my chess board set up on my table, i gave it another try. i think this one came out much better than the first attempt.

my first attempt can be seen here...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70103

for the 2nd one, i removed the pawn from the right side, and used a piece of paper to help keep stray light from the laser pointer i used to light up the king from bleeding into the other pieces. i also painted the other pieces with the LED a little bit more than the first time to help get rid of any stray red light that might have hit the other pieces.

im closer to getting the look i want this time, but i still want to reshoot it again, but since i out the board away, i think i will come up with something a little different next time.

hopefully when i reshoot it, the pieces will look a little sharper like the original, but the colors will be more consistant like the 2nd version.

5105ca5a.jpg

It looks really neat! Sounds like a lot of work, though, yikes! Keep us posted with updated versions!

It looks really neat! Sounds like a lot of work, though, yikes! Keep us posted with updated versions!

thanks WNK.

its not as much work as it sounds. i have a desktop vise i use for various projects that i use to hold the laser pointer on and in place. i set the board up on 4 cups to keep it elevated off the table so i could get the laser underneath it. then i put a piece of paper with a hole in the center of it under under the king with a little tape, and then all i had to do was line up the laser pointer. then it was just a matter of pushing the button on the remote to open the shutter, and then painting the other pieces with an LED light. once i thought i had painted the other pieces with enough light to expose them, i closed the shutter.

awesome creativity. I think you've invented a new medium for glass photography. This one looks better than the first but you STILL didn't show the board enough. I have this same chess set and the board is glass with fogged squares representing black right? You could LED paint that really quickly by holding it father away (instead of cups use something taller but be careful not to knock the set down. Then just back it up and spray lighting all over the underside of the board.

awesome creativity. I think you've invented a new medium for glass photography. This one looks better than the first but you STILL didn't show the board enough. I have this same chess set and the board is glass with fogged squares representing black right? You could LED paint that really quickly by holding it father away (instead of cups use something taller but be careful not to knock the set down. Then just back it up and spray lighting all over the underside of the board.

thanks DSLR noob.

ive tried shooting the underside, but i havent had any luck getting it to look good. its always coming out a little too exposed. i plan on retrying it again soon, so ill give that another shot.

pun intended. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back