Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I GOT A JOB!!!!!!! <is dancing and twirling> :headbang: :cheer: :bouncy:

I was woken by a phone call today from Aker Solutions (formerly Aker Kvaerner) telling me that they would like to offer me a job when I graduate.

I start in Feb and it'll be awesome. Instrument Control Engineering :) :) :)

:goodvibe::goodvibe::goodvibe::goodvibe::goodvibe:

<is moonwalking outta this thread and getting back to the study>

Congratulations :)

wohoo... nice one man ;), but tell me, what exactly is an Instrument Control Engineer?

Congratulations!
But this is no where near the BP refinery :( ... and here I was thinking that - in case we move to Perth in three years from now and hubby starts building "his" plant in the Kwinana Refinery - we might get a chance to meet through inter-refinery meetings or so? (Nothing's certain about Kwinana, anyway, mind you).

Well funny story. BP actually offered me a job in the Kwinana refinery after they decided the Bulwer Is refinery won't take an electrical graduate next year. I turned it down because I didn't want to move away so soon. (I bet in a few years I will be dying to get out of Brisbane :) )

Aker Kvaerner actually has a large contract with BP, and a good percentage of refinery engineers in Brisbane and Perth come from Aker so I may end up in Kwinana anyway :lol:

Arch Instrument Controls is basically an area of electrical engineering which deals with funny enough Instrument Control. Where the "Instrument" could mean anything from a tiny motor on a CD drive to what I will be doing on an undustrial scale. Playing with the control systems behind flow valves, temperature sensors, pressure sensors.

Basically it has to do with everything that happens from when an operator pushes a button on his screen all the way out to a valve closing in the field. That's Instrument Control, and the systems behind them are massive and in industrial plants they usually have teams of engineers dedicated exclusively to them.

I will probably mainly be working in minerals though. There was a hint that half way through next year I may end up in Papua New Guinea working on a gold floatation plant. :D

I'm not saying this to be rude, but why in God's name would anyone intentionally want to work in a refinery? I mean, don't they make prison inmates do that work or something? :) LOL JK! I bet they pay really well and I'm sure the smell grows on you :)

Seriously, though, congrats! And a toast, to many more high-dollar lenses to come (including that 600mm f/4 you've been eyeing... lol).

Woot celebrate by saving up for more gears!

Sounds like the best kind of job too, one that turns into a career.

Good work. Your first job out of school usually doesn't rock but the time does!

Yep I'm pretty stoked. I spent $200 on a celebratory dinner last night with the family and now I just realised I'm going to be poor for half a year yet.

Actually refinery work depends where you are working. Our local BP where I worked for 13 weeks during the summer break had an office 2km from the refinery (out of the blast zone as they like to say). It only sucked when you had to go on site during a hot day. Regardless of what managers think, employees would rather die in a fire than wear Nomex overalls full time. The smell isn't that bad either, and if it is just go down to the water purification plant during the lunch break to get a sense of what a bad smell really is, and you won't be able to wait to get back to the sweet smell of hydrocarbons.

But here's a list of cool things to do at a refinery:
- Climb the highest tower
- Climb the highest tower right next to the sulphur recovery unit, and then **** yourself when the H2S meter beeps at you to get the hell outta there before the gas gets any worse.
- Drive through the tank farm in a golf cart (takes about an hour)
- Climb the biggest tank, all 150 steps, only to be attacked by a hoard of Plovers (birds with toxic spikes on their wings) when you get to the top.

Lol even the birds in Australia are dangerous.

Congrats and good luck!

Congratulations!! Sounds like a sweet deal. If your company needs a computer engineer tell them that I'll move to Australia to work for them :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back