So I was asked to do an event...

New question: Should I be sorting by dog? Some of the border collies are starting to blend together with how much they were running! Is there a more effective way of sorting? I know racers usually have bibs with a number....
When I was shooting events I used to shot a dog on about 4 sections of the coarse then I would take a shot of the grass so I knew that was the start of another dogs run

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

New question: Should I be sorting by dog? Some of the border collies are starting to blend together with how much they were running! Is there a more effective way of sorting? I know racers usually have bibs with a number....
When I was shooting events I used to shot a dog on about 4 sections of the coarse then I would take a shot of the grass so I knew that was the start of another dogs run

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There were times when the second dog was running so fast after the first ended that I'd miss the first of my series of shots that I had planned out. These guys were ridiculously fast! I've never seen so many volunteers!

I've finished editing but I honestly have no idea how to host for people to purchase. I can post in a separate album on FB for the low-res watermarked images and have them comment on the one they want (since this is the first times I've done this, hosting a website for something that may not pan out whatsoever seems silly?). I have a free website created with my portfolio, but it seems to upgrade and allow people to shop i have to upload 'products' one at a time-no bulk options. I don't really want to pay 25$/month for one event that I could sell nothing at or have to take down every event because I can't afford the fee. :(

Looks like you nailed that one (first time I've ever seen anything deliberately painted in a CA colour scheme! :lol: ). As far as organizing, that could be tough. Do you get any sort of heat sheet or anything that tells you who's running in which event? If you had that, then you could simply write the number on a piece of paper and shoot that as the first frame of the session, but other than that, unless they're wearing bibs...

I'm surprised at how many I nailed! Even the ones later in the evening worked out with a bit of editing, though I'm not as happy with them since my camera struggles with grain once you hit 800 (I needed to shoot at 1600 to not get too much motion blur in general). Is it better to stay later and do more edits, or quit earlier while I'm ahead? I think I have lots of shots but it's hard to gauge what will be loved on the first go.

Agility can be quite a challenge to shoot, especially if the stewards are not really good and keep the board up to date for each event. If you can get a shot of the board you can get the names and numbers of the participants and then make a shot of the handler so you can get the number on their arm and then get the dog shots. The handler may handle more than one dog so the number is more critical than the person. I used to compete with Belgian Sheepdogs and ended up going with video since most handlers wanted to see how they were positioned on each jump. Made for great Blooper videos as they leaped and stumbled and fell trying to direct the dogs.....

Agility can be quite a challenge to shoot, especially if the stewards are not really good and keep the board up to date for each event. If you can get a shot of the board you can get the names and numbers of the participants and then make a shot of the handler so you can get the number on their arm and then get the dog shots. The handler may handle more than one dog so the number is more critical than the person. I used to compete with Belgian Sheepdogs and ended up going with video since most handlers wanted to see how they were positioned on each jump. Made for great Blooper videos as they leaped and stumbled and fell trying to direct the dogs.....

I've never seen an agility run with armband numbers, but this is a great idea. There were definitely multiple dogs being run by the same handler. The board was up to date but far-I barely had time to change a battery for this particular event, but others this would work much more easily for.

I like the video idea too-I've been more interested in videography lately than usual-but I REALLY like action photos. I wish I could do both easily-I feel like people wouldn't buy videos as much as want to see them once or twice for analyzing, though?

Guys, I just got asked if I could do a discount if they buy 10. I agreed to a small price drop since the thought of potentially selling 10 photos to a single person for this being my first shoot took me off guard (and I priced things well enough that this isn't a big deal)-this is awesomeee.

Most reactions

Back