I got a thing!

Msteelio91

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.digitaldistrictphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Satan - I mean Santa, brought me a new toy this year. Picked it up on the eBays for a very fair price, unused and came with a case! I've only flown it once so far since, being in the DC area no-fly zone, it requires a slight drive to be able to fly.

Initial impressions:
  • Fast! Hit 35mph with the quickness.
  • Excellent quality video, the 4k is wonderous.
  • Can't beat the POV app and FPV flying. Tons of features at your fingertips between the app and the remote.
  • GPS position holding is amazing.
  • Definitely need a few filters, ND and polarizing for sure.
  • ~25min flight time is nice, but I will probably get another battery.
  • My dog doesn't mind it.
  • Really hate the DC no-fly zone... 30 miles, really guys?
Overall I love it and can't wait to go somewhere more scenic. I'll stitch up the not-great first video I made with it and post it here when done.

New toy! by Matt Steele, on Flickr

Very cool. Don't forget to register with the FAA.

Already done! It's free right now for anyone who doesn't know.

Good deal. Yeah, I know about the free, so it's best to go get it done. But I think it's only going to be $5

Yup just $5.

Those DJI's are really great drones!

You may find these interesting. :)
Academy of Model Aeronautics

This one is on your D.C. problem.
AMA Finding A Solution for Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) in the D.C. Area | AMA Government Relations Blog

Thanks for the reads! I am hoping things get sorted around here, it's infuriating that I have to drive at least a half hour to leave the ground!

Great videos too!

Nice. I keep thinking about a drone ... But I know I'll just use it a few time then it will just collect dust.

You might be surprised, when you get the thing in the air and start seeing from it's POV it's a pretty awesome experience. Kinda like flying, but in the sense of a proxy haha.

Even most of Charles County is in the 30-mile limit. You could head to Saint Mary's and buzz the Amish farms.

Definitely some awesome spots that I would love to hit with a drone in both Charles and St. Mary's. Calvert Cliffs would also be an awesome spot if it's allowed and you want to risk being over the water .

Even most of Charles County is in the 30-mile limit. You could head to Saint Mary's and buzz the Amish farms.
'

Hahaha not sure they'd appreciate that!

Definitely some awesome spots that I would love to hit with a drone in both Charles and St. Mary's. Calvert Cliffs would also be an awesome spot if it's allowed and you want to risk being over the water .

Calvert Cliffs is a GREAT idea and plenty out of the way of the DC No-Fly zones.

I put up a thread with some of my first pics here: Drone pics! | Photography Forum

There's an oil rig a little off shore that should be in range of the drone too. May be able to get a few good shots of that.
The church on the hill on Chapel Point Rd just a little south of La Plata in Charles county is a spot I've been eyeing for a while. There's some beautiful views over the Port Tobacco River.

Good luck and have fun!

There's an oil rig a little off shore that should be in range of the drone too. May be able to get a few good shots of that.
The church on the hill on Chapel Point Rd just a little south of La Plata in Charles county is a spot I've been eyeing for a while. There's some beautiful views over the Port Tobacco River.

Good luck and have fun!
LaPlata would be in the no fly zone; the intersection of 301 & 234 is just beyond 30 miles from DCA. I'm going to start putting a map together tomorrow during lunch (there's a cartography competition in March). I'll start with SoMD.

Good luck and have fun!
LaPlata would be in the no fly zone; the intersection of 301 & 234 is just beyond 30 miles from DCA. I'm going to start putting a map together tomorrow during lunch (there's a cartography competition in March). I'll start with SoMD.

That sucks. There's some really cool spots in Charles. Morgantown power plant is still an option though. It would be awesome to get up close and personal with those smoke stacks.

The power plant would be cool. Even parts of northern Calvert are out. I'll try to get the 30-mile tomorrow - I was to jammin' busy today. I'm not sure from where (at DCA) the measurement would start - the center, the tower, the edge? The FAA web site isn't that specific (though I did learn about airspace classes.)

Where are you at, anyway? I'm in Waldorf (Westlake), near the mall.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back