I got it.

michelejo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelejo.com
It's sitting here on the table next to me. It's so fast! I took the battery out of my G2 and popped it in and WOW! I cannot believe how quickly it (a) focuses (b) responds and snaps the pic and (c) is ready for another pic!

So the evening started out with me setting out to compare and feel the 350d and the 20d. I was pretty sure I was ready to order the 20d (was planning on Amazon.com) but I just couldn't bring myself having never touched one. (I saw one at my SIL's wedding in June, but the photographer made sure I didn't get close enough to drool on it! ;) )

I went to Best Buy to get a camera battery and was surprised they had both cameras for me to compare (I was hopeful but doubtful). When I asked for batteries and a lens to explore each one, they were shocked. They didn't have any batteries for the display cameras and they didn't know where the lenses were. Hrm. I left there annoyed (though I DID buy another BP 511). I can't believe they expect people to buy cameras of this calibur without being able to demo them!

I set out to find my nearest Ritz photo. At this point, I was still just looking. I found the store, found the camera, got a good comparison of the size and feel of both and was sure it was going to be the 20d. I'm not super-petite or anything, but was worried I would feel like the 20d was too big/bulky. When comparing the feel in my hands, I felt more comfortable with the 20d. It's definitely a lot larger than my K1000 and my Maxxum but it felt right. The 350d felt a little like I was about to drop it...like my hands were not coordinated enough to hang onto it. Okay, I guess I have man-hands. Whatever. So the "feel" plus the additional features locked this in more me. Their price was only $50 more than Amazon. I think it would have turned out less expensive in the end to buy it from ritzcamera.com and have them price match and refund me based on Amazon's price (no sales tax from ritz online) but by the time I held it and actually got that close to it, I really just wanted to take it home!

Anyway, I mentioned wanting another lens and the salesman and I had a bit of a disagreement on what I should get ;) so I decided to hold off (iow, go home and start researching again). I got a 1GB Lexar Professional CF card and at my husbands insistence (by phone) a 1yr renewable extended warranty.

Also found out in a most embarrassing way that both my bank accounts have silly daily spending limits--even on check-writing!

Finally I had to call my bank from my cell phone and I found out that my daily spending limit on my debit card would have been more than enough--silly me thought I'd have more freedom writing a check! We finally got the remainder on that card (we'd split it up between that and my other debit card, which apparently has a tiny limit) and I got my camera. Moral of the story--carry a real credit card for such "emergencies" LOL!

jstuedle said:

Egads, no! I carried $500 in my wallet for a couple weeks and was a wreck about losing it. In fact, I did lose it twice and luckily found it. I left it on my bumper and it was still there when I got home! I'm too flaky to carry much cash!

hobbes28 said:
Congrats on stepping up. I know all too well how good it feels. Have fun with it. :D

Thanks, I will! I am already worried about wearing it out. It's amazing that I can take shot after shot after shot...

heh, i know how you feel, i already have a couple tiny scratches on mine. I was pretty depressed when i noticed, but no big deal, i'm just breaking it in :)

congrats!

ksshane said:
Congrats... I was just going to say the same thing as jstuedle

Yeah, I am having trouble with getting the pics to my computer. I know it's my laptop's fault--it wouldn't recognize my other camera either. I did buy a PC card CF card reader but it's REALLY painfully slow so I haven't gotten most of them onto the computer yet (it's takes 40 minutes to get a full card transferred!). Soon, though--I can't wait to get a good look at them!

Most reactions

Back