What's new

I got my first IR-ONLY DSLR.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's a D60 converted to 720nm. No shots yet, just sharing my excitement! Photos will be up tomorrow. :D

Mark
 
This is one of the things I have to get. Love ir photography. How does it work for you. Your viewfinder work still?
 
I haven't had much time to take the photos with the camera yet. It's been raining quite excessively lately. But I managed to get one shot off, and it looks nice. The viewfinder still works because you are looking through the lens by means of a mirror, not from the sensor. Photos should be up tonight. (:

Mark
 
Awesome. On my to get list for sure. Last time I tried was with my oly 500 with no mods. Needless to say the results were poor because of ir filtering.
 
Hmm. It was fully overcast all day today, and raining most of the day. So I didn't get much of a chance to try out the new camera. But I did get a chance to shoot a few shots. This is what I came up with.

1
DSC_0073.jpg


2
DSC_0070.jpg


3
DSC_0065.jpg


4
DSC_0064.jpg


5
DSC_0050.jpg


6
DSC_0024.jpg


7
DSC_0017.jpg


8
The only good one of the bunch.
DSC_0048.jpg


I'm getting some kind of vignetting where the middle of the frame is turning up with a blueish hue, until I swap the channels, then it's red where the rest is blue. I'm getting really frustrated with it because it takes up about 30-40% of the frame! Something tells me it's not supposed to be like that. So, I'll try it out again tomorrow. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. If I get the same result, the camera may have to go back. :(

Mark
 
I'm not a big IR guy, but "I THINK" that hotspot is due to the LENS in use...I see Bjorn Rorslett's lens evaluations always mention that many lenses have a hot spot in the center when capturing in other-than-visible-spectrum light, which makes those lenses less than idea for IR work...his reviews are thus some of the best for the guy who wants to find out how various lenses will perform when imaging into the IR spectrum.
 
That's great to know. Extremely unfortunate, as I would naturally want to use the Tokina for IR, but still great to know. I'll try again in the sun tomorrow with a few other lenses I have and see how everything goes. I tried to edit out the hotspot in the photos above, so hopefully it's not too visible.

Mark
 
Those shots are amazing compared to what I got.

Damn, gotta get me a body converted for ir.
 
Those are amazing. I love how the trees look like they're covered in snow.
 
I want an IR converted body!
 
It's a great investment! Get one with a better native ISO than ISO100, or at least can shoot above ISO200 without significant noise.. It's a major PITA to work with. :lol:

Mark
 
I was thinking about the D60--but then again this is all fantasy.
 
That's what I got, and what these are taken with. It has a native ISO of 100. I've found that the ISO capabilities really aren't that great at all. But maybe that's just because I'm used to being able to use up to ISO800 with my D300s. :lol:

If you decide you want one, PM me and I should be able to get you a deal on one. D40, D60, D70, or D70s.

Mark
 
I would love to, and thanks for the offer, but i'm a poor college student and a sigma 50mm 1.4 is more important. Haha.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom