I got some studio lights. Softboxes?

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

With this economy , I have found some good deals on used equipment. I picked up a set of Speedotron studio lights. 1205cx power pack, 3x 202vf lights, cables, grids, extra cables, rolling case, etc. Pretty much the 3 light version of this.
Speedotron | 1205CX 2- Head 1200 W/S Air Travel System | 11274

I am going to get some practice with it this weekend. Right now, I have 2 umbrellas, but am considering a couple of softboxes. I don't want to go overboard, as I am just playing around and learning studio lighting right now. However, I do not want to go too cheap and not get a good set of boxes. The local photography store sells this set for $100. I have been tempted to give it a try.
Softbox Link

Does that look like a good solution, or is there something else I should consider? I am totally new to studio lighting, so fire away with the suggestions. I am going to get some good practice next week. My neice is getting married in May. I am shooting her wedding. She is coming in town next week and we are going to try out the lights to do some of her bridal shots. If they turn out good, it will save her plenty of money on a full portrait setting with a pro.

Last edited:
Know what? You have the right attitude. Play using your current equipment, start by using only 1 light source for a month... then add a 2nd for 2 weeks, then as many as you have, using each for a week before adding the next.

Umbrellas are the most versatile light modifiers you can get and have great potential.

Just yesterday I picked up a couple of softboxes (28" and a 50") and am impressed with the initial results. Same but at the same time, different results than from umbrellas.

In terms of a camera... once you get serious enough to fall into dSLR cameras things REALLY open up for you. I would want to suggest to you to stay away from spending money on any point and shoot (a G10 is a great point and shoot, but it is still *just* a point and shoot camera).

Work hard, save longer and research the world of dSLR cameras, make your purchase and sincerely... your photography will thank me later on.

Can you use a G10 with a lighting setup? Yes, without doubt. Can you get FAR better results with a dSLR? An equally resounding yes there too.

Be ready to enter a world of learning tons. It's part of the game and part of the fun.

Oh... don't forget to visit, read and study from the www. strobist.com website... specifically Lighting 101 and 102.

Good luck!

Know what? You have the right attitude. Play using your current equipment, start by using only 1 light source for a month... then add a 2nd for 2 weeks, then as many as you have, using each for a week before adding the next.

Umbrellas are the most versatile light modifiers you can get and have great potential.

Just yesterday I picked up a couple of softboxes (28" and a 50") and am impressed with the initial results. Same but at the same time, different results than from umbrellas.

In terms of a camera... once you get serious enough to fall into dSLR cameras things REALLY open up for you. I would want to suggest to you to stay away from spending money on any point and shoot (a G10 is a great point and shoot, but it is still *just* a point and shoot camera).

Work hard, save longer and research the world of dSLR cameras, make your purchase and sincerely... your photography will thank me later on.

Can you use a G10 with a lighting setup? Yes, without doubt. Can you get FAR better results with a dSLR? An equally resounding yes there too.

Be ready to enter a world of learning tons. It's part of the game and part of the fun.

Oh... don't forget to visit, read and study from the www. strobist.com website... specifically Lighting 101 and 102.

Good luck!

Jerry, the guy's got a 40D... I think he meant to post the link to the softboxes, but posted the wrong one...

OMG> I did post the wrong one. Crap. LOL. I was sending the G10 link to a friend that wanted a good camera for vacations. I will fix it.

OK. The link is fixed now. Sorry for the confusion.

I appreciate the feedback. I agree on the staged approach. I plan on setting it all up tomorrow and playing around.

I have spent a lot of time on studiolighting.com. They ahve a lot of great info there. This video was helpful to me. Also, this section of setups was great.

Most reactions

Back