I got to test the D800 and D4

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I attended WPPI last week in Vegas and had the opportunity to play with these cameras. As expected, the D800 has about the same noise performance as a D700, so if you're looking to upgrade in that respect I would not recommend it. The D800 is a very nice camera for those who have a specific use for it. For example, studio photographers and wildlife photographers would benefit most from it. It feels very nice, is larger than it looks from pictures and focuses a little better than the D700. I was hoping I would be replacing my D700's with these but unfortunately they serve two different purposes. I would stay away from the D800 only unless you really need 36mp (which I doubt many of us do) and pick up a used D700 once the price goes down.

As for the D4, it is simply an amazing camera but I think we already knew that. Absolutely outstanding low-light performance and it weighs almost nothing. Also the light meter is now located on the right side of the viewfinder similar to Canon's, I can't remember if the D3's are the same.

For those of you who don't know, the D800 will be in stores at the end of March and the D4 at the end of April.

On a side note - I also tested the Sigma 85mm 1.4 and it's crap.

I appreciate you posting this. I'm still struggling a bit with D4/D800, but I'm leaning more D4 every day. Good thing since I have it pre-ordered, I suppose. :)

:lol:!

Yes.. I have been see-sawing a little bit too.. but still want the D4! I do think I might look at the "rumored" 24 mp D400 when / if they come out. I like crop sensor for Macro.. and having the extra cropping capability of the 24 mp would be nice too.

really? I have used the Sigma 85 1.4, and like it quite a bit. It didn't seem to focus as quickly or as accurately as the Nikon 85 1.4.. but did perform nicely. Beautiful creamy bokeh also.

really? I have used the Sigma 85 1.4, and like it quite a bit. It didn't seem to focus as quickly or as accurately as the Nikon 85 1.4.. but did perform nicely. Beautiful creamy bokeh also.

I've seen nice photos taken with the lens, but when I used it, it was not sharp at all.

I attended WPPI last week in Vegas and had the opportunity to play with these cameras. As expected, the D800 has about the same noise performance as a D700, so if you're looking to upgrade in that respect I would not recommend it. The D800 is a very nice camera for those who have a specific use for it. For example, studio photographers and wildlife photographers would benefit most from it. It feels very nice, is larger than it looks from pictures and focuses a little better than the D700. I was hoping I would be replacing my D700's with these but unfortunately they serve two different purposes. I would stay away from the D800 only unless you really need 36mp (which I doubt many of us do) and pick up a used D700 once the price goes down.

As for the D4, it is simply an amazing camera but I think we already knew that. Absolutely outstanding low-light performance and it weighs almost nothing. Also the light meter is now located on the right side of the viewfinder similar to Canon's, I can't remember if the D3's are the same.

For those of you who don't know, the D800 will be in stores at the end of March and the D4 at the end of April.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

I've seen nice photos taken with the lens, but when I used it, it was not sharp at all.
Must have been an AF issue, because the samples i've seen give the Nikon and Canon's a run for their money.

Yes.. I have been see-sawing a little bit too.. but still want the D4! I do think I might look at the "rumored" 24 mp D400 when / if they come out. I like crop sensor for Macro.. and having the extra cropping capability of the 24 mp would be nice too.

Might be cheaper to crop in post with the good cam vs. buy another body? Just curious why you'd do this unless maybe its to "not" lose the mega-pixels?

Might be cheaper to crop in post with the good cam vs. buy another body? Just curious why you'd do this unless maybe its to "not" lose the mega-pixels?

I crop in post now when needed. The extra mp would allow for the crops I am doing now, and still have more mp left! Hopefully would give better prints after that crop.... yes?

I crop in post now when needed. The extra mp would allow for the crops I am doing now, and still have more mp left! Hopefully would give better prints after that crop.... yes?

Understood, thanks! I always enjoy seeing the macro's you post, I knew there was something to it =)

D4 at the end of April? I thought it was coming out mid march at least for Canada?

I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4. Is it perfect no... Did I save $700.00 over the Nikon G, yes. I had a slight focus issue with it, but since I have the 4 year warranty, I sent it in. Sigma was great, as they asked which body I would be using it on and recalibrated the lens specifically for my D700 body. Came back and it is money. I tried fine tuning it initially, but gave up and sent it in. Here is an example, with my mutt as the model.

Okay, new to board. Apparently, I can't upload the photo. So you have to take my word for it. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back