I guess I don't "get" Flickr - in particular, the awards.

I don't get flickr either, but I use it to show some photos that have either run their course on my site, or that I want to have them seen but don't think highly enough of them to add to my site.

You have to remember that flickr is a storage site - you don't even have to take the picture to put it on there, apparently. I've seen "collections" of photos of girls that were obviously pulled from the Internet. You can also see the quality of some of the members themselves when you look at the obscene notes left on images of pretty girls. "I wanna lick this spot here," is not, in my book, to be considered constructive criticism. :lmao:

Oh, and I forgot about all the "admins" posting invitations for their groups. I want to form a group called "Total Garbage," so I too could post comments like, Hi, I'm an admin for a group called Total Garbage, and I think your photo would really fit in! :lmao::lmao:

Alright, I'm done ragging on flickr....

Last edited:
The so called 'awards' are simply 'comments' with glittery colors. Anyone can 'award' another photo, and most are part of groups that REQUIRE you to reward others. Most people don't even care, they just post the award on a few so they can gain comments to their own.

You have to remember that flickr is a storage site - you don't even have to take the picture to put it on there, apparently. I've seen "collections" of photos of girls that were obviously pulled from the Internet. You can also see the quality of some of the members themselves when you look at the obscene notes left on images of pretty girls. "I wanna lick this spot here," is not, in my book, to be considered constructive criticism. :lmao:

actually it is a requirement that the account holder be the owner of the images posted onto the site. They allow a little leeway since people sometimes do just want to post a pic their brother/friend etc.... took but it must not be the majority of ones posts.

Thus accounts such as the one you describe are illegal and - if reported - will be deleted.

I recall one person (who I only noticed as the posted a comment on one of my pics) who was using the windows background sample images in their profile (gosh when I saw the quality of them and then checked my own I was shocked - gods they give out some shoddy quality pics for backgrounds do windows ;)*)

* ps I'm refering to the images as the appear on file, I'm sure the originals look far better

actually it is a requirement that the account holder be the owner of the images posted onto the site. They allow a little leeway since people sometimes do just want to post a pic their brother/friend etc.... took but it must not be the majority of ones posts.

Thus accounts such as the one you describe are illegal and - if reported - will be deleted.

I recall one person (who I only noticed as the posted a comment on one of my pics) who was using the windows background sample images in their profile (gosh when I saw the quality of them and then checked my own I was shocked - gods they give out some shoddy quality pics for backgrounds do windows ;)*)

* ps I'm refering to the images as the appear on file, I'm sure the originals look far better

Really? I should have looked into it. I've seen a few profiles like this already, with "borrowed" images. I'll report them next time.

Those awards are awesome. That's actually the only reason I got into photography...

I still haven't gotten one yet though, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Those awards are awesome. That's actually the only reason I got into photography...

:lol: <insert a "you're doing it wrong" picture here>

Maybe your photos arent crappy enough. So you can take that as a good thing.

Flickr is a haven for wannabe hipsters. I agree, it used to be much different. Now it seems the worst possible crappy snapshot with a Holga means you're somehow a modern day Ansel. I'll leave Flickr to the fine folks Twittering from their iPod at Starbucks about the latest Wired article.

"Crappy" and "good" are subjective... All that matters is "awarded" and "not awarded".

...One day. :study:

OK, one serious post...

What I find most annoying about the awards is how much room they take up.
If I comment on someone's photo, and it gets an award later on, I have to look at an entire page of comments and stupid awards (talking about the "Recent Activity" page here - not the photo's page). I guess there's probably a way to hide all that, but it annoys me that I even have to try to find a way to hide it.

Last edited:
Most people in the world today aren't listening to what you have to say, they are only waiting for their turn to speak.

I believe with sites like Flickr, people post to draw in hits on their own stuff. Maybe something like "you are teh best photographer around, please comment on my stuff"...:er:

Flickr is a haven for wannabe hipsters. I agree, it used to be much different. Now it seems the worst possible crappy snapshot with a Holga means you're somehow a modern day Ansel. I'll leave Flickr to the fine folks Twittering from their iPod at Starbucks about the latest Wired article.

Wannabe hipsters? Are they like wannabe gangsters? lol

All social networking avenues these days are a haven for whatever is currently trendy...the 'hipster' style happens to be the latest trend, and thus is the reason why you see many 'wannabes' on Flickr.

Yea there are TONS and TONS of crappy photos on Flickr that make explore, get 100+ comments, and whatever. But, there are just as many more that are simply amazing; some have 0 (zero) comments. NOYZE didn't know what the rewards were, now he does. I personally hate the glitter awards, and often times delete them. However I LOVE Flickr. And if this turns into a Flickr bashing thread, then I'll spend a lil energy defending it.

I first used Flickr back in April when I purchased my slr and joined this forum. I simply joined Flickr because I wanted to easily post pictures to these forums. However now Flickr is as much a part of my life as this forum. There is so much amazing work from a lot of people, it's like an idea bomb. When you look over peoples streams, ideas explode into your imagination.

Let me post a few GREAT ones, since only poopy ones have been added to this. These are examples of photos that I just randomly came across, but to me is the reason why I use Flickr.

The Leica M9, and the fastest lens in the world, the Noctilux 50mm f0.95 is something that I dram of having. This guy has some amazing shots with it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/4143287035_579b3d94de.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4144044924_5e15e8967f_b.jpg

and one artistic one from Dustin Diaz

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3274000026_cb50914c14.jpg

Wannabe hipsters? Are they like wannabe gangsters? lol

All social networking avenues these days are a haven for whatever is currently trendy...the 'hipster' style happens to be the latest trend, and thus is the reason why you see many 'wannabes' on Flickr.

Yea there are TONS and TONS of crappy photos on Flickr that make explore, get 100+ comments, and whatever. But, there are just as many more that are simply amazing; some have 0 (zero) comments. NOYZE didn't know what the rewards were, now he does. I personally hate the glitter awards, and often times delete them. However I LOVE Flickr. And if this turns into a Flickr bashing thread, then I'll spend a lil energy defending it.

I first used Flickr back in April when I purchased my slr and joined this forum. I simply joined Flickr because I wanted to easily post pictures to these forums. However now Flickr is as much a part of my life as this forum. There is so much amazing work from a lot of people, it's like an idea bomb. When you look over peoples streams, ideas explode into your imagination.

Let me post a few GREAT ones, since only poopy ones have been added to this. These are examples of photos that I just randomly came across, but to me is the reason why I use Flickr.

The Leica M9, and the fastest lens in the world, the Noctilux 50mm f0.95 is something that I dram of having. This guy has some amazing shots with it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/4143287035_579b3d94de.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4144044924_5e15e8967f_b.jpg

and one artistic one from Dustin Diaz

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3274000026_cb50914c14.jpg

There are some great shots on flickr. Those you posted are good but still kind of meh IMO.

One that really caught my eye was this one:

Flickr Photo Download: .

:thumbup:

I think a lot of folks take flickr a bit too seriously. As someone pointed out, it's a social networking site, not a pro photography site. The "Pro" thing you see in profiles means that person uses the paid service, with unlimited uploads, as opposed to the free basic package (although I have had a co-worker look at my thread and go "aaa, so you do this professionally, that's why you have that big camera" lol). That said, there are a few people there with admirable work, and also a few respectable pros. The vast majority however are folks like me, who dabble in this as a hobby purely for the fun of it, and use the site as a way to interact with other, peep at better work to learn from etc. Others use it to look at boobies. Much like anything else, it can be used for good or bad. The only time it can get really bad is when people take it too seriously, methinks.
The awards are silly, for sure. Most are things that anyone can give anyone else. It's a sparkly way of saying "I like". But as long as one understands and acknowledges that, the whole game can be fun - believe you me, when you have to spend 36 hours in the work place on call and you have several hours where you just sit by your phone or pager waiting, it's a lot better than solitaire...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back