I guess I don't "get" Flickr - in particular, the awards.

I'm a former SmugMug user and after 3 years I switched to flickr.

Why?

Cost.

For the same storage ability flickr is half the cost. The only 2 disadvantages I'm seeing so far is looks/customization and no domain support.

I wonder for what serious photographer like you... use flickr?
Is really a good question... it is so good for sharing? do you get many comments or visitors ?

I can manage a website and I have my own so actually I will not need flickr for that... for show my portfolios... my idea is mainly to use flickr as platform to get comments and visitors... do you think is a good idea? a good strategy?

I'm wondering the same. For those who have a pro subscription, why Flickr and not Smumug, Zenfolio or something? I'm talking about simply sharing. Wat's better about Flickr in that regard?

I use it because it's easy, cheap, unlimited, there are apps that make it easy to upload and it's not photobucket!

I will use probably flyrck because want to make new friends and new visitors for my web.... I hope will be easy to socialize there... so is a social reason! not a photo reason..

For sure there are better service to show photos..... I have my own web so I'm not looking that but if not technically speaking I will suggest smug mug... I'm not a member I just come across but the first look I had at the website was impressive....

Regards

You can choose to upload to flickr and use their storage...and not join groups to get 'awards'.

I use Flickr mainly for storage and a convenient way to share photos.

I think someone's just mad that they didn't get the golden sparkly award for their tire-in-a-field picture. :lol:

I rather like flickr. The comments aren't usually worth reading, but it works well as a photo hosting website. Unlike something like photobucket, I can go on Flickr and almost instantly find photos of any particular thing. I can even find photos by the type of camera used, which is great since I'm looking for a new camera. It allows me a rough idea of what kind of results can be expected from the camera, and some of the people on there are great at documenting how they got their photo.

I have a free premium Flickr account through my ISP and I use it just to post shots that I can show to friends,if someone wants to comment thats great but I treat those awards as the joke that they are

Please explain this story of the awards in Flyrk.
I guess are photo awards or something...
I was used years ago to websites awards that were definetely poor things just a way to spread their links around.... they claimed so many questionable things.... and at the end you must stay to their roules to get one.... it was years ago but still this trash is around.

We joined Flickr as a way to get exposure for our website. Unfortunately that has not happened. Very few folks go to our site from Flickr. Pbase and this forum are another story. it seems like our Flickr site gets little to no traffic. At least photos don't appear to be viewed that often.

I had dreamed of winning a sparkly award for a long time, or at least having a photo that deserved a great big hug but I guess that shall remain a dream.:lol: Guess I'll have to go find some snow covered tires.

I just started using Flickr a few months back as a way to maybe raise the profile of my work. I do not know if I will always be there but for now I am trying it out. I have similar feelings to most about the silly awards and ugly icons that seem to go with them.

On the other hand, it is a photo sharing community for all people which means it will will have mostly a ton of "snap it" type photos and a far smaller amount of ambitious photographs. That being said I have found if I look hard enough for good groups the quality of the images posted goes up substantially.

I have gotten to a place where I look at Flickr as democraticly as possible which for me means I am trying to just be there and except it for what it is. I think it can be a very positive thing, in that less experienced and even far less ambtious photographers can come into contact with more serious work. This might open their eyes to work they never would have run into if all of Flickr was just the "snap it stuff". I have also had the good fortune to run into some very good photographers on Flickr who are good enough to be published but have never even dreamed of such.

my Flickr stream

Thanks for the info....

It start to became more clear...

I do not like so much general community and also I do not like awards... so... lets start to use flyrk as just a tool to find more potential visitors :thumbup: will see if happen.

Let me preface this by saying I'm trying flickr and in doing so I've stumbled across something that bugs me.

Apparently one of the following is true:

I don't understand what makes a good photo.
Flickr awards are a huge joke.

Anyone else see what they believe are crap or just snapshot photos that are praised beyond ridiculous and even receive 'awards'?

Is it just a big joke or is there a higher scale of photography that I just can't grasp yet?

Here are a few examples:
Jardin ouvrier / Allotment on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
L'arbre penché / The bent tree on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tas de pneus / Piles of tires on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I like all 3 of those shots, i'm doing a big project on allotments going to be shootting it over the next year

I love Flikrs user interface and the whole concept of a nicely organized place to store all my photos. The fact that you can upload them to full resolution and then get seperate links to smallers sizes is also awesome!
That's my major gripe about Flickr, the user interface sucks. It's horribly laid out, difficult for the novice to navigate and it's not customizable like SmugMug or similar services. You get that hideous white no matter what.

That's my major gripe about Flickr, the user interface sucks. It's horribly laid out, difficult for the novice to navigate and it's not customizable like SmugMug or similar services. You get that hideous white no matter what.

Agree on that but it seams to be the usual yahoo crazy policy... Google is destroing them in so many issues.... quite a pity

Interesting thread. I just got into Flickr and am getting some weird awards. Do most of you just click "No thanks" and delete the reward comment with the ugly icons? I don't really want them in my comments...just wondering what you guys do once you get them.

Whats the deal with those awards...you join a group and whoever runs the group gives you an award? Eh...it doesnt bother me. I like it better than photobucket...so I keep all my favorite photography on flickr. Its a free country and instead of getting annoyed at people who post crap and get complimented on it I just think...wow if somebody think that looks good, I must be amazing. LOL. I am sure compared to some peoples stuff on here my stuff is crappy too. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back