I had a go at "product photography" C&C welcome

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I am clueless, and my lighting is probably less than ideal (two desk lamps) but I think they're kind of ok?
3830374516_19f0482567_o.jpg

3829577937_12202afa19_o.jpg

(smoke picture for good measure)
3829578155_78056902de_o.jpg

I really like the first two. Gotta love the old Canon. However, I think that the third shot of the smoke is a bit under exposed. With a little bit more light, it would look great.

#1 looks good but im not too crazy on the angle. could be just me. you might have worked with a deeper dof as it softens up as it gets close. still, a nice one.

#2 i need one of these. that said the bottom right corner of the tuner looks a bit underexposed and the boss logo on the switch is not too readable. still a good one, but especially the latter would be a problem in a commercial/professional situation.

#3 is a very good capture, but a bit too underexposed for my liking.

all in all, for having had a go, you did a very nice job in my opinion

thanks guys. I still head out with the AE-1 every once in a while. it's a great camera!

like I said, all I have for lighting is two desk lamps... this definitely makes me want to get more sufficient lighting!

The focus is far too soft for product photography, Product photography's purpose is to Advertise
not to create art, Thus meaning you get the image as sharp as you can
The lighting is perfect for them imo
But you should clean the canon before taking a product shoot, Clean anything your about to shoot for a product style, I know it cannot be helped much as the aging process but you should try remove as much as possible.

yeah I worked on that canon for a good 10 minutes with a qtip, but admittedly, I could have done better... and at first I liked the DOF, but I agree, I should have gotten the whole thing as crisp as possible... that's why I'm here though... keep the comments coming!

the ae-1 is indeed a great camera. which lens are you worrking with?
the canon 50mm f/1.4 is amazing.
i'll need to get myself one of these cameras, of steal it off of my girlfriend...!

#1 is a decent shot. You already know that it needs to be sharp and clean. You also need some reflectors, the right side needs more light. Product photography is tough because you have to scrutinize your product with a magnifying glass and then throw all the light that you have on it. And watch your shadows. Good start, keep practicing.

For the AE1, I have a 50mm 1.8, a 28mm 2.8, a 300mm and a 2x teleconverter. I guess I should list all those in my sig or something lol

oh robert, your jugs are AMAZING! *grin*

seriously though, thats a pretty nice setup. who would have thought lol. :)

question though...

are the milk jugs cut out on the bottom for directing the light, or are they uncut and placed over the light to diffuse it?

they are uncut. I used them to soften and diffuse the light. it worked out pretty well!

thanks for commenting on my jugs!

Most reactions

Back