I HATE WINDOWS VISTA

I am no help here. I am one of those insufferably smug Mac users that everybody hates so much.

Then again, I don't ever want to smash my computer because it just works.

hey, no one hates mac users ... become a linux user (like I am partially) .. then you feel what hatred means :p

that is because you had no driver problems yet, and no problems yet with legally purchased downloadable content ... and because you did not read yet to what you agreed in the license agreement as far as I know.

Who said I haven't had driver problems? I have no sound right now because there is no driver for my sound card. Will be ordering a new one in a few days.

Although at first I wasn't a huge fan of Vista, I have tried it recently and I was surprisingly pleased. I liked the interface, and it didn't seem as slow as I expected. I may pick up a copy just to mess around with it more, but as a first impression, I was satisfied. Driver issues, although they are apparently common, shouldn't last forever, I think when there are major operating system changes, bumps along the way can be expected. Corry and Joe, which version are you using and what are the basic specs on your systems? Do you find it slow? That was a concern when it first came out. Have either of you tried Ready Boost? That seems really neat. :)

As for Mac, I also like some of their new systems. They have a lot of neat programs, and the interface is very simple once you get used to it. Mac definitely has improved immensely, but I still find Windows easier, which is probably out of old habit.

I used to be very up-to-date on operating systems, but I honestly haven't done a ton with Vista, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Bring back DOS

Although at first I wasn't a huge fan of Vista, I have tried it recently and I was surprisingly pleased. I liked the interface, and it didn't seem as slow as I expected. I may pick up a copy just to mess around with it more, but as a first impression, I was satisfied. Driver issues, although they are apparently common, shouldn't last forever, I think when there are major operating system changes, bumps along the way can be expected. Corry and Joe, which version are you using and what are the basic specs on your systems? Do you find it slow? That was a concern when it first came out. Have either of you tried Ready Boost? That seems really neat. :)

As for Mac, I also like some of their new systems. They have a lot of neat programs, and the interface is very simple once you get used to it. Mac definitely has improved immensely, but I still find Windows easier, which is probably out of old habit.

I used to be very up-to-date on operating systems, but I honestly haven't done a ton with Vista, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
We are both using Home Premium. My set-up is:

Pentium D 3.0Ghz with 4MB cache (2 per core)
ASRock 775Dual-Vsta Motherboard
Kingston Hyper-X PC-3500 Memory, 1 GB
Ultra X-Connect 500W Power Supply
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (Driver issues...still, but...)
RealTek HD Audio (Works great in the mean time)
ATI RADEON 9800 Pro, 256MB
Hauppauge WinTV+ Go (No official Vista support yet, but works with 3rd party player)
Samsing SpinPoint SATA 160 GB Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint PATA 120 GB Hard Drive
Western Digital PATA 250 GB Hard Drive
Generic 3.5" Card reader/USB

Before I upgraded, it was:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
RealTek AC'97 SOund Card

On both systems it ran great, though on the old one I had hardware based RAM timing problems (Also exists in XP) so I bought new stuff.

As far as performance, it's about the same steed as XP, but the interface improvements are wonderful, so I'd never go back.

Ready Boost...well with my old setup I used a 512 card to augment my memory, and it took my RAM index from 1.0 to 1.9 (the same memory with new motherboard jumped to 4.5...told you there were timing issues) so it seems to work some, but not be a signficant boost when you alreagy have 1GB.

Another thing to keep in mind is the minimum requirements for the WIndows Aero interface (which you really want)
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte of system memory
a DirectX 9 compatible graphics processor, with a Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver, and a minimum of 64 MB of Video RAM
40 GB hard drive with 15 GB free space

Hope this was helpful...it made me late for class :lol:

I love Vista. Although I have found that you have to do a little searching sometimes to find the drivers you may need. No problems since I've had it.

hehe im a linux user.... But my laptop unfortunately has vista on it... But I'll probably be switching it to Mac OSX. I actually hadn't used windows in almost 6 months when I got my laptop :D

So far Vista has done nothing I needed it to. I use GIMP (go figure for a linux user :D ) because its free, and all the python scripts I previously used on Linux don't work on Windows. Turns out windows is the only operating system in the world that ships without python support. :(

Perhaps some of the linux gurus here know how to share internet between a Linux machine and a windows laptop recieving wireless internet?

You mean how to send your internet through from one network card out another to the laptop? If you don't need to do that, just buy a router :D

I can send u a PM if you need help

sorry for smiling now ;) but we had 2 or 3 threads on here already collecting reasons why not to migrate to vista :p

oh, by the way : www.badvista.org ;)

I just got a new laptop and insisted on having XP installed ... I am very happy.

I think M$oft finally found a way for people to embrace one of their OS's... make their NEWER OS really crappy!

hehe im a linux user.... But my laptop unfortunately has vista on it... But I'll probably be switching it to Mac OSX. I actually hadn't used windows in almost 6 months when I got my laptop :D

Today's linux distributions can cope fairly well with laptops ... seen ubuntu linux working fine on several and SuSe

i still wanta bite its head off......i guess ill have to go spend the 60 bucks and get a non usb wifi card...blah!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back