I Have A Problem

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope someone can help me with this.

When I have an image in photoshop I can resize it to 16x24 and 20x30 with no problem.

30x40 isn't too tuff either, BUT......

When I crop it to 20x24 I have a big problem because I end up losing too much of the image at this size and I don't understand why.

I've used the crop tool, resize and some other attempts and I can't get it to work without losing too much of the image.

DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW TO DO THIS?

Thanks,
Mike V

No. Your camera takes an image in 3:2 format. So multiples of this are easy to make - 6x4, 12x8, 18x12, 24x16, and 30x20 etc etc.

Move out of this ratio and you need to crop out parts of the image.

A 30x40 is a 3:4 ratio so you need to crop some of the image out and a 20x24 (5:6 ratio) is almost square...... so you need to crop out even more!

There is no way to prevent this unless you give the image a frame.

I made the frame yellow just so you can see what it's like.

Lunch_Recomposed_24x20.jpg

Thanks so much...I thought I was losing my mind.

...and since you have been so helpful I hope you don't mind me asking one more question.

Does Canon make a camera 30D, 20D 10D, 5D that I can crop and print all these sizes without a problem or DO I need to decide what size I want to print at and deal with what it's capable of?

Thanks again,
Mike V

Why is this in the Alternative Techniques forum...? :scratch:

I'm going to move this over to Beyond the Basics, guys, where it will probably get more views.

vandecarr, every camera has a native format. The 5D (for instance) has a full-frame sensor, which means it is the size of a 35mm piece of film - 24x36mm. That would be a 2:3 ratio. So you can make a perfect 4x6 inch print. If you were to print 5x7 inch, you would have to crop some of the image.

No way around this, short of stretching and distorting the image like a carnival fun-house of mirrors. Weird.

As has been said, printing any size other than the camera's natural aspect ration will require cropping or distortion.
Easiest and best way round is to do as EOS_JD suggested - use a matte.
It makes your images look more professional and it also means if printing large, you don't have to enlarge the image as much so it results in a better quality image.
Adding text at the bottom makes images look more professional too.
grandcentralselectivedrp.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Best way may be to shoot the subject with enough space around it that you can crop to the correct ratio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back