I Have A Question about D40's & Lenses

tkaat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D40 and I know about it can only auto-focus with lenses that have the motors in them but does that mean that I wouldn't be able to put a older lens on and manually focus and the camera would recognise it/ let me change the aperture & shutter speed???:confused:

I am pretty sure at least the AF-D lenses will work for everything but autofocusing on the D40, if not most AF lenses. Not positive about aperture control on older lenses. Once I get my 50mm f/1.8 I'll be able to tell you if the aperture is adjusted in-camera. I think it should since it's AF-D. A lot of if not all of the Nikkor lenses from this decade are at least AF-D. The shutter definitely is set in-camera since the shutter is part of the camera body and not the lens...

... does that mean that I wouldn't be able to put a older lens on and manually focus and the camera would recognise it/ let me change the aperture & shutter speed???:confused:

No... You will be able to use non-afs lenses with the only caveat being lack of autofocus...

I only have one lens that will autofocus on my D60. You'll get the hang of it. It may even make you a better photographer.

You can use "virtually" any SLR lens Nikon has ever made on the D40 (with a couple exceptions that are extremely rare and there's no way you would buy one by accident... and the Pronea lenses which don't fit anything except one of those horrible cameras).

With Nikon AF lenses (again, with extremely rare and expensive exceptions) will all work just fine including metering... some just won't autofocus.

You can use manual focus lenses, but they (obviously) won't autofocus and the metering system won't work either... but you CAN use them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back