I heard Canon 50Ds dont work well with a fish eye lens, any truth to this

The 50d is an APS-C sensor. I have a fellow photographer that shoot a 40d with this lens and yields some amazing pictures. He shoots weddings and is known in the area for creating quirky artistic pictures with his fish eye. Check it out. It has free shipping from b&H right now to. :)

CHEERS

Sigma | 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens for Can | 477-101

The 50d will do fine with a fish eye that is made for APS-c sensors. I have seen his work and it has the effect you are looking for.

This is the lens you'll want. The Sigma 10mm f/2.8 will be almost identical in field of view on a crop sensor Canon (disregarding the APS-H sensor crops) as the Canon 15mm f/2.8 FE on a full frame Canon. The Sigma is probably your best bet for a fish lens.

Also, people were telling me constantly that it's a specialy lens and you can over use it. I say bull. If you can pull of the look and the style, you can use it for a lot of things. Fish eye portraiture anyone?

Yeah, I think they're fun.

579464572_gFzZo-M.jpg

I love mine but, I shoot Nikon and, it was made for DX sensors. All you will lose is field of view and, some curvature from the cropping factor. Unless you get a built for DX lens ofcourse.

The 50d is an APS-C sensor. I have a fellow photographer that shoot a 40d with this lens and yields some amazing pictures. He shoots weddings and is known in the area for creating quirky artistic pictures with his fish eye. Check it out. It has free shipping from b&H right now to. :)

CHEERS

The 50d will do fine with a fish eye that is made for APS-c sensors. I have seen his work and it has the effect you are looking for.

This is the lens you'll want. The Sigma 10mm f/2.8 will be almost identical in field of view on a crop sensor Canon (disregarding the APS-H sensor crops) as the Canon 15mm f/2.8 FE on a full frame Canon. The Sigma is probably your best bet for a fish lens.

Also, people were telling me constantly that it's a specialy lens and you can over use it. I say bull. If you can pull of the look and the style, you can use it for a lot of things. Fish eye portraiture anyone?

That specific Sigma lens is made for the smaller APS-C lenses. So no cropping effect with it at all.

CHEERS

That specific Sigma lens is made for the smaller APS-C lenses. So no cropping effect with it at all.

But the crop of the APS-C sensor makes the FOV equal to about a 15mm fish on a FF camera, regardless of whether or not the lens was made for a smaller sensor or not. You can't say that Putting a 10mm lens on a crop sensor camera, even though the lense is made for that type of camera, will give you the same FOV as a 10mm lens on a FF camera.

I love mine but, I shoot Nikon and, it was made for DX sensors. All you will lose is field of view and, some curvature from the cropping factor. Unless you get a built for DX lens ofcourse.

It's based on the focal length and not what mount it's built for.

It's based on the focal length and not what mount it's built for.
No where in my post did I mention mount type. I talk about the leses optimization for the specific sensor. If the lens is FX you do not get the full effect, if the lens is made ofr DX then it is optimized for the crop of the snesor. I have played with both thypes of lenses and, the FX lens loses much of it field of view and, the curved effect on a DX sensor. Any lens made for a cropped sensor will be full field of view and, full curvature.

Yeah, I think they're fun.

579464572_gFzZo-M.jpg

HAHA I thought she was smoking a joint at first. LOL :greenpbl:

I thought she had a straw in her nose to snort something... :lol:

Be careful how fishy you go, too. I know this guy (he was rich) who bought an 8mm fisheye lens without using one first to see what it was like. He hated it and never used it again.

But the crop of the APS-C sensor makes the FOV equal to about a 15mm fish on a FF camera, regardless of whether or not the lens was made for a smaller sensor or not. You can't say that Putting a 10mm lens on a crop sensor camera, even though the lense is made for that type of camera, will give you the same FOV as a 10mm lens on a FF camera.

WHAT?????? What on earth are you talking about. Manufactures are making lenses now that are made for the smaller sensors. A 10mm lens made for a small sensor gives 10mm. If the lens is made fr that sensor there will be no crop factor. That is why the lenses were made. To eliminate that problem. That 10mm lens is made for APS-C sensors and gives a 10mm FOV. So yes it does matter that the lens was made for the smaller sensor.It is the whole point of getting a lens made for it. It eliminates it.

WHAT?????? What on earth are you talking about. Manufactures are making lenses now that are made for the smaller sensors. A 10mm lens made for a small sensor gives 10mm. If the lens is made fr that sensor there will be no crop factor. That is why the lenses were made. To eliminate that problem. That 10mm lens is made for APS-C sensors and gives a 10mm FOV. So yes it does matter that the lens was made for the smaller sensor.It is the whole point of getting a lens made for it. It eliminates it.

I think I might be misunderstanding you, but even a new lens built for a crop sensor needs to be multiplied by the crop multiplier in order to tell what the equivalent would be on a full frame. So even if it is a 100mm made for crop sensor, it would still be like a 160 (Canon) on a full frame camera. The focal length of the lens will be the same distance in mm on a crop as it would full frame.

The underlined sentences are wrong.

The reason for making a lens specifically for a small sensor is that it is smaller, lighter and usually cheaper.

A 10mm lens for a small sensor still has a focal length of 10mm. If you were to mount it on a full frame camera it would give exactly the same result as a full frame 10mm but with vignetting.

If you mount a full frame 10mm on a small sensor camera the result, in terms of coverage, will be identical to a crop frame 10mm.

HMMM... I am confused. I talked to a rep from Sigma, B&H as well as a local shop today. All three told me that lenses designed for smaller senors such as DX and APS-C are made to eliminate the crop factor and give true focal length. The lenses are not made "just to be lighter and cheaper" They Said and I quote" the purpose for making lenses separate from full frame lenses is to help eliminate to cropping or zoom problem known to plague smaller sensors." I have check with three different companies and they all told me the same thing. Why would three completely different people tell me similar responses.

Is it a conspiracy?

I mean come on seriously.

HMMM... I am confused. I talked to a rep from Sigma, B&H as well as a local shop today. All three told me that lenses designed for smaller senors such as DX and APS-C are made to eliminate the crop factor and give true focal length. The lenses are not made "just to be lighter and cheaper" They Said and I quote" the purpose for making lenses separate from full frame lenses is to help eliminate to cropping or zoom problem known to plague smaller sensors." I have check with three different companies and they all told me the same thing. Why would three completely different people tell me similar responses.

Is it a conspiracy?

I mean come on seriously.

Well, there is enormous confusion being caused by different sensor sizes.

Quite often people say something which is ambiguous and if you interpret it the right way is correct, but if you pick another (perhaps more obvious) interpretation is wrong.

This part of what you quoted: "is to help eliminate [the] cropping or zoom problem known to plague smaller sensors", doesn't really mean anythng.

Cropping and zoom problems do not 'plague' smaller sensors. If you tried to put small sensor designed lenses on full frame cameras they would be 'plagued' by vignetting problems but that is another issue.

The only 'problem' you have when you put a full frame lens on a small sensor camera (apart from the fact that the lens is bigger and heavier than it might be) is that if you look at the marked focal length the resultant 'negative' will cover a different area of the scene than you would expect if you were used to dealing with full frame cameras.

However since with an SLR you compose the picture according to what you see, this isn't really a problem.

The only problem that I can see is if someone who was very used to working with full frame cameras bought a crop frame and assumed that, say, a 20mm lens would have the same effective FOV as it did on his full frame. (e.g. if someone needed to use a very wide angle lens for their particular type of photography wanted to switch from film to digital and bought a crop sensor camera, their current lens would probably no longer be 'wide' enough.)

Providing you don't try and mount a lens designed for a crop frame camera on a full frame one the problem is really limited to one of communication.

Im confused then. They each told me that the cropping problem is not an issue with the new lenses as a 20mm dx lens is 20mm.(Nikon respectively) They were made for the reason of giving true Focal Length to small Sensors. But hey in the end who knows. I guess I don't.
The Main numbers I care about are the F/stop. That is the big one.

Most reactions

Back