I heard Canon 50Ds dont work well with a fish eye lens, any truth to this

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im really wanting one. I had just about made my mind up to get it and while at a wedding the photogrpher told me that 50Ds dont work well with fisheye lenses. He said something about the 50ds sensors.

Anyone heard of this problem?

simple answer: dont use fisheyes

but i have no clue tbh but dont understand how they wouldnt work...
the sensor should pick the image up just like any other lens
after all the sensor isn't what makes the fisheye effect, it is the way the lens is designed that creates the effect

The issue is pretty much with any camera having a APS-C size sensor which means most DSLR's, unless the fisheye lens in question is designed specifically for the smaller APS-C sensor size.

A true fisheye will work best on a full frame sensor.

Make note that a true fisheye lens is a fairly expensive type of lens. A Canon EF 15 mm f/2.8 fisheye is $650.

Are you referring to a Fisheye lens designed to mount on the Camera ... or are you talking about those Fisheye lens adapters that mount on the end of a lens (like a filter) ?

I would like to buy a sigma fisheye lense, not the mounted kind but a actual lense, if it makes more sense to spend the extra couple 100 bucks to get a canon to feel more secure about the purchase I will.

The issue is pretty much with any camera having a APS-C size sensor which means most DSLR's, unless the fish-eye lens in question is designed specifically for the smaller APS-C sensor size.

A true fish-eye will work best on a full frame sensor.

Make note that a true fish-eye lens is a fairly expensive type of lens. A Canon EF 15 mm f/2.8 fisheye is $650.

So I have to look into what kind/size APS-C sensor I have on my 50D and get reassurance from whom ever I buy it from is familiar with APS-C Sensors and also that there wont be any limitations.

Ill probably get it from BnH later this week.

If theres anymore input or info to share from other members here please chime in and thanks to you guys for helping me out.

I have seen beautiful fish-eye images taken with a crop-sensor camera. The problem with fish-eye's, however, is that the images start to get boring if you're not careful. You might consider renting prior to purchase to make sure you really like it. I think you would normally get more use out of an ultra wide angle lens (e.g. Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 10-22mm).

Ian

The issue is pretty much with any camera having a APS-C size sensor which means most DSLR's, unless the fish-eye lens in question is designed specifically for the smaller APS-C sensor size.

A true fish-eye will work best on a full frame sensor.

Make note that a true fish-eye lens is a fairly expensive type of lens. A Canon EF 15 mm f/2.8 fisheye is $650.

So I have to look into what kind/size APS-C sensor I have on my 50D and get reassurance from whom ever I buy it from is familiar with APS-C Sensors and also that there wont be any limitations.

Ill probably get it from BnH later this week.

If theres anymore input or info to share from other members here please chime in and thanks to you guys for helping me out.
Your 50D has an APS-C sized sensor. They are virtually all the same size. In Canon cameras the mount to sensor distance is slightly greater than in Nikon's so your 50D has a 1.6 crop factor and Nikon's have a 1.5 crop factor.

It's the crop factor that messes with fisheyes. Think about taking a fisheye shot, and then only using the centre portion of the image. It'll probably just look more like a really weirdly distorted shot than a fisheye. In any case, I think Nikon has the best fisheye out there. The images from that 16mm f/2.8 are outstanding for a fisheye.

My opinion, I agree with Ian. Fisheyes are a little bit of a novelty item; a lens for the sake of photographers to geek out about. I also think you'd get more out of a good ultra-wide.

Let me try to rephrase the original question. Are their any set backs, or disadvantages to using a fish-eye lens on a 50D compared to a different Canon body?

Like for instance, I heard, "yeah fish-eye lenses are great for creative wedding shots but you dont want to use one on a 50D." When it comes to a fish-eye lens on a canon, do you get a better fish-eyed image off a different canon?

Are 50Ds compared to other Canons at some sort of disadvantage in the fishy dept.

There is no disadvantage that is specific to a 50D. My guess is that the person you were talking to didn't know what they were talking about.

Or that they were referring to the crop sensor of the 50D; the 5D or 1D would produce more fishy results because they're full frame.

Here's a fish-eye shot taken on Saturday using my 5D Mark II.

576380915_qMroe-L.jpg

If you would have used the same 15mm Canon fish-eye lens on a 50D from the same spot, it would have looked something like this.

fish-eye_50d.jpg

"A 50D doesn't like fisheyes"

Specifically which lens was being discussed? Some fisheyes are good, some are bad. There are fisheye lenses made for DX and FX lenses. If you use a Fisheye made for a FX on a DX, it is less "fishy" but still functional.

A DX fisheye on a FX camera depends on the camera, but not optimally.

Click on pic above for little larger pic. This shot was taken by me at a strobist meet a while back using the Sigma 15mm F/2.8 fisheye on my D700. Personally, I have nothing against fisheyes, I like them enough that paid for one and it is part of my wedding kit and a lens that I carry with me most all times. Very fun!

Click on the picture above not to see a larger one, but to go to my flickr set "Montreal, 180 degrees at a time". A series of 180 degree shots taken with a fisheye of the Old Port of Montreal area. Check it out and make your own decision if you first like the effect or not.

One thing that I will say... it is very easy to get tired of this effect quickly. Used sparingly, it is fun. I do not "de-fish" any of my pictures. I bought the lens for the vast distortion and leave it in all of my pics that I make with it. If I wanted an ultra wide shot that is not "fishy", I use the Sigma 10-20mm on DX or the soon coming Nikkor 14-24 on FX.

The 50d is an APS-C sensor. I have a fellow photographer that shoot a 40d with this lens and yields some amazing pictures. He shoots weddings and is known in the area for creating quirky artistic pictures with his fish eye. Check it out. It has free shipping from b&H right now to. :)

CHEERS

Sigma | 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens for Can | 477-101

The 50d will do fine with a fish eye that is made for APS-c sensors. I have seen his work and it has the effect you are looking for.

Most reactions

Back